🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New at Upwork : Looking for a mentor/Advi...
Page options
1596db45
Community Member

New at Upwork : Looking for a mentor/Advisor

Hi,

I am glad to be a part of upwork. Pleasent and healthy discussion is encouragng. To cater my newly started family, I have created  my profile. After reading suggestions, I have made changes.

1. I need a quick review of my profile and an ongoing kind advisory from a senior person.

2. I appreciate if I get any useful links/contacts for a long term work. I can add more about my profile on demand.

Thanking in anticipation. 

Yours truly,

Sammar A.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As a client, that is the main thing I look for when I hire freelancers:

I look for freelancers who post lots of different unrelated skills, and then I don't hire them.

The first word in your profile overview text is: "Free Lancer"

A couple of problems with that:

First of all, the word is spelled wrong.

Second: Every freelancer on Upwork is a freelancer. So you are wasting space, not telling us anything.

Your profile would be equally effective if you replaced "Free Lancer" with "I breathe oxygen!"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Sammar!

Welcome to Upwork!

Sammar A wrote:

Hi,

I am glad to be a part of upwork. Pleasent and healthy discussion is encouragng. To cater my newly started family, I have created  my profile. After reading suggestions, I have made changes.

1. I need a quick review of my profile and an ongoing kind advisory from a senior person.

2. I appreciate if I get any useful links/contacts for a long term work. I can add more about my profile on demand.

Thanking in anticipation. 

Yours truly,

Sammar A.

Here on the platform, Upwork provides an extensive library of information for new freelancers and those who've been here a while. Whatever you do, dig deep into the knowledge base, and you will never be disappointed.

Below I've provided 5 links to get you started.

1. Business & Freelancer Resources | Upwork
  2. Solved: Re: Challenge and a Question - Upwork Community
  3. Getting Started on Upwork - Upwork Community
  4. 4 Ways to Create a More Successful Freelancer Portfolio | Upwork
  5. Upwork Profiles: Why a Great Title and Overview Can Make a Difference | Upwork

Have a great week!

1596db45
Community Member

Thank you Sir, much appreciated.
martina_plaschka
Community Member

It is not recommended to offer a diverse and unrelated set of skills. It looks odd on your profile. It's as if you are screaming: I will do any of those! Hire me for anything! 

That devalues your profile and makes it look unprofessional. 

Focus on what you do best, and lose everything else. 

Thank you Ma'am !

Sammar A wrote:
Thank you Ma'am !

You must be more specific. I don't know what a banking advisor does. 

Still a jumble of too many different things. Chose less. Be clear what services you provide. Examples. Adress your client. What can you do for him? 

Start by researching your competition. Take about 20 hours for research and crafting a much better profile. Don't come back before you do that thoroughly. 

As a client, that is the main thing I look for when I hire freelancers:

I look for freelancers who post lots of different unrelated skills, and then I don't hire them.

The first word in your profile overview text is: "Free Lancer"

A couple of problems with that:

First of all, the word is spelled wrong.

Second: Every freelancer on Upwork is a freelancer. So you are wasting space, not telling us anything.

Your profile would be equally effective if you replaced "Free Lancer" with "I breathe oxygen!"

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your time and kind suggestion. Review start up was really weird. I have revised it. I appreciate if you, please, check for changes if any.

Yours truly,

Sammar A.

Sammar A wrote:

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your time and kind suggestion. Review start up was really weird. I have revised it. I appreciate if you, please, check for changes if any.

Yours truly,

Sammar A.

You can't claim to be a writer and have errors in your headline, and many more in your text, which is not even long. 

Have you researched others as I recommended? Doesn't look like it. 

May I request you to, please, review the changes. Your suggestion is amazing. 

Thanks and Regards

Sammar A.

roberty1y
Community Member

I don't think you should write Banking Advisor in your profile header. It suggests you are an expert in banking, a description that would cover a range of very advanced qualifications. Your portfolio and work history don't back this up. I think you should only list writing and data entry as your skills. You could add that you have worked in banking and therefore you would be a suitable hire for writing/data entry jobs with a banking connection.

Also, you seem to have a contact number in your employement history (under WhatsApp). You need to delete that. It's not allowed.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths