🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New client said they paid an opt-out fee, I a...
Page options
bpcopenhaver63
Community Member

New client said they paid an opt-out fee, I am suspicious this is not a legitimate job.

I submitted a proposal and had an interview with a new client. I am new to Upwork, so I didn't understand when they said they had paid the "opt out" fee. I am getting suspicious that this is not a legitimate job. They have taken down the job posting, and my proposal isn't even accessible in the archive.

Is there a way to confirm this fee was paid or that this is a legitimate job?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Beth,

I can confirm the job post you are referring to was already removed and client's account addressed for violating Upwork ToS. Please take a look at the list of tips for recognizing fraudulent jobs Lena compiled and posted Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
robin_hyman
Community Member

It sounds like a scam. It is right to be cautious about clients who tell you they paid an opt-out fee, ask for your personal information, try to pay you off the platform, etc. Clients try to scam new freelancers on the platform all of the time. When you feel something is sketchy, flag the client and job post. Someone from Upwork will look into it. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Beth,

I can confirm the job post you are referring to was already removed and client's account addressed for violating Upwork ToS. Please take a look at the list of tips for recognizing fraudulent jobs Lena compiled and posted Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there a way to confirm this fee was paid or that this is a legitimate job?"

Beth:

You DO NOT NEED to confirm that the opt-out fee was paid.

When a client tells you this, the client is lying to you.

Moreover, the client is trying to steal money from you.

There IS NO SUCH THING as a blanket opt-out fee.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Beth C wrote:

I submitted a proposal and had an interview with a new client. I am new to Upwork, so I didn't understand when they said they had paid the "opt out" fee. I am getting suspicious that this is not a legitimate job. They have taken down the job posting, and my proposal isn't even accessible in the archive.

Is there a way to confirm this fee was paid or that this is a legitimate job?

Thanks

You need to ask yourself why a legit client would pay upwork 3000 USD to work with a freelancer they have not even hired yet. Nobody does that. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths