Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New freelancer. How should I procédé.

Highlighted
Irina F Member Since: May 8, 2017
1 of 6

Hello,

i am a product designer and I am new here. 

Recently I was hire to make 3 design proposals for a company. They want me to send them a proposal, with renderings and sketches. I am a bit comfused because I don't really understand how am I going to protect my work. What if they will say we don't like your ideas... and actually they will steal my ideas and they won't pay for my work? 

Any advise would be very useful for me.

thank you

irina 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
2 of 6

The situation is a bit unclear. It doesn't sound like you were hired; it sounds like you recieved an invitation to apply. If so, you will need to be hired first before sending them anything. To make sure you have been hired, you should be able to find the contract under 'My Jobs.' Until you receive an offer, accept it and see the contract there, don't do any work.

If you begin a fixed-price contract, the money should be funded before you start working so that you will have protection from Upwork. If it is an hourly contract, make sure to use the time tracker and you will be paid. You won't have to worry about anyone stealing your work then.

Highlighted
3 of 6

Thank you for your answer. Actually I think I need to rad mor about this. It is a bit unclear for me how the websit is working. I was hired. The. Interact appears in "my jons". And it is fixed price contract. Îți ahould ne fine, I suppose. He actually wants 3 projects and herd me online for one... I will see. Thank you very much for your answer 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

Irina:

It sounds like you have a lot to learn about how Upwork works.

You may learn before you begin working, or you may fail a few times and learn by experience.

As a freelancer on Upwork, I do not "protect my ideas."

I get hired by clients. They pay me for my work. The work I do on their behalf belongs to them.

You say that you were hired to make 3 design proposals for a company. Is this really true?

When you log into Upwork and look at the Jobs -> Jobs page... do you see a contract listed?

If you see a contract listed, it means you were hired. If there is no contract listed, then you were NOT hired.

Highlighted
5 of 6

I am hired before t only for one design. 

It is mor clear now. Thank you very much 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 6

If you were hired for one design, send one design. Send it by clicking "submit/request payment."  If the client wants to receive the work in some other format, you can send a back-up by some other means AFTER you have officially submitted. Then, don't send another design until you have a funded milestone that will allow you to do the same.