🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New here.
Page options
omar_saheem
Community Member

New here.

Help! I'm new here, it's my first month and I didn't get any proposal. I even spent all my connect and did't get any task. Is it normal for the first month? Is there anything I can do to improve my state or to get a task? I edited my profile twice and even my way in submitting a proposal, and also tried lowes cost, but nothing worked 😞

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you, Pat. I've changed my profile so you can view it. I viewed other profiles with whom who has same skills and tried to make it similar. simple, brief and to the point.

for the cost, I wanted to do that only for the first month till I get high rate, but didn't work.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Your profile is private, so there is not much we can tell you.

But, yes, it is common for it to take time to begin getting hired regularly.

One make you are probably making is being like too many other freelancers.

If the services and expertise you offer are essentially the same as what hundreds of thousands of other, more experienced freelancers offer, there is little reason for a client to hire you.

purplepony
Community Member

Omar, it would be helpful to Community Members if we could view your Profile.  However, we can't as it's not public. 

Without that information I'll simply state that you need to assure that you're only applying for projects that you absolutely know you can do and do well.  Also, IMO it's a bad idea to attempt low cost.  Fees should be in line with individuals' skill sets and industry. 

In addition, it'll be to your current and future benefit if you read/view the wealth of information available regarding how to get started... within Help and support and within this Community.  All one has to do is search for what they're specifically interested in knowing.  

Thank you, Pat. I've changed my profile so you can view it. I viewed other profiles with whom who has same skills and tried to make it similar. simple, brief and to the point.

for the cost, I wanted to do that only for the first month till I get high rate, but didn't work.

Omar:

2 points:

1) Writing? Translation? These are tough markets to break into. It can be done. But don't expect instant success.

2) A writer or translator without a portfolio is not likely to be taken seriously.

@Omar S wrote:

You are funny. You accepted your own answer as a solution to your question? 

I truly believe that anyone can be successful here. Not that it's easy, but it's possible. 

Read up on all the valuable tips upwork has for new freelancers, and make sure that the skills you offering are something that you are really good at, and very confident that you can deliver outstanding results. 

Offering translation into English, when your profile is not good English - what can I say? It completely undermines your credibility. Your credibility is the only thing that will make clients hire you. Your profile must be convincing and professional, same goes for your proposals. 

versailles
Community Member

I translate from English to Arabic and vice versa.

No, you don't. Your level of English doesn't allow you to translate into this language. The English in your overview, and almost certainly in the proposals you are sending, totally discredits your claim that you are able to translate into English. I even don't understand why you are claiming this.

Omar, you're totally wasting your time on Upwork. This time could be invested in much more lucrative ways.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths