🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New on Upwork - typing/data entry jobs
Page options
1ace436c
Community Member

New on Upwork - typing/data entry jobs

Hello!

I joined upwork just recently and I'm interested in typing/data entry jobs for now.

But I'm having troubles finding legitimate job offers, or so it seems to me. Many of them seem like a scam, many of them have the same exact job description or are very unclear. I've received a couple of messages in which they asked me to contact them via telegram or whatsapp, which of course I didn't want to do.

So my question would be, are there any real job opportunities for that tipe of work here at all?

11 REPLIES 11
df602768
Community Member

When a client asks you to contact them outside Upwork, inform them it's against Upwork's ToS and invite them to keep the communication within the platform.

Also, clients asking you to contact them on Telegram or WhatsApp are probably scammers. 

elisa_b
Community Member

Nika R wrote:

So my question would be, are there any real job opportunities for that tipe of work here at all?

Hmmm. I don't have a direct experience with that, because I work in a different area. But let me tell you that:

1) According to countless complaints here on the forum, scammers adore freelancers offering data entry and typing services - along with file transcription and file conversion. You have already been targeted by those people.

2) In the rare case when these jobs are legit, they don't pay well enough.

3) Those categories are overcrowded and you probably wouldn't be able to win jobs, when there are so many people all around the world doing the same for 3 or 5 dollars an hour.

Therefore... I would suggest you focus on something else. 

1ace436c
Community Member

Thank you very much for your insight and advice. I was thinking that might be the case, but it's helpful to get an opinion from someone experienced.

5a9f8ba1
Community Member

Yes, there are real jobs for your kind of job as stated. And as you noted, there are a lot of scam jobs too when it comes to Data Entry. But always check if the client has hired a freelancer before, and check the client's hire rate. If he/she has hired before and paid, then you can apply. But for those clients with a 0% hire rate, but have posted a lot of jobs, or have been members for a long, be careful with them. 

But there are real job opportunities in your type of area of service delivery. 

Thank you very much for your advices, I will keep them in mind.

81e21f27
Community Member

Hi,

I face the same problem. How I continue this job without scams?

elisa_b
Community Member

You have a degree in computer science. Probably you have something more valuable to offer than typing and data entry?

bingiart
Community Member

According to my experience...

There are some good Data Entry jobs here. But you have to find them. Also, there is good competition here.

Scammers target freshers and post jobs where they get more proposals. For example Data Entry Jobs, Typing Jobs etc. Be careful if you do this kind of jobs.

So, how to find these scammers?

• They post jobs, but never Hire.
  • They share contact information on job posts. Sometimes there is a contact Number/Email ID in the attached document or image. 
  • They fix huge amount for simple job.
  • If you go under job posting, you will see many jobs like the one above. Sometimes only the title is changed.
  • With the help of VPN, similar jobs are posted from different countries.

Why are they here?

• Traffic has increased here for the last 3-4 years.
  • They are looking for loopholes. The biggest loophole here is that most people don't know about freelancing.

Know about freelance sites before starting work. Visit the UpWork blog. There are many good articles available there.

This is just my opinion.

Be Aware, Be Safe.

I also check these lists before applying for a job post.
* Payment Method Verified.
* 4+ Clients Rating.
* 75%+ Hiring Rate.
Mostly, I will apply for 5-6 countries job posts only.
This is just my practice. So far I have not met any scammers.

I hope this message helps you

Please check the attached files.

I saw your profile. You have good work experience in teaching field.
Also, You know English fluently.

I would like to give you some advice.
With UpWork...
1. Start a YouTube Channel & share your teaching experience. Good teachers are in demand in the market. Demand is high especially in your field. There is very little competition.

2. Take some time and learn Canva/Adobe Express. It will help you in your teaching journey.

This is just my opinion.

2c1546a3
Community Member

Computer Typing, Microsoft office, outlook, Microsoft Excel,Data Entry,Data Backup,

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths