🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New similar account creation
Page options
kamranbajwa1
Community Member

New similar account creation

I have questions regarding creating a new account. If I close this account and create a new account on Upwork using exactly the same information and using the same laptop just changing the email address then would I be banned?
Also When I created this account that I want to close I got 50 connects in the start and my account got approved right away without any wait. I'm just afraid that if I create a new account I don't know if Upwork will approve my new account or not and would I get 50 connects in the start or not. Could you please help me with this new account creation?

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Kamran B wrote:

If I close this account and create a new account on Upwork using exactly the same information and using the same laptop just changing the email address then would I be banned?

Yes.

Kamran B wrote:

I'm just afraid that if I create a new account I don't know if Upwork will approve my new account or not and would I get 50 connects in the start or not.

No, you would simply be banned and not be allowed to ever create another account. The rules are very clear. You can only ever create one account on Upwork. 

How can you even think that trying to get 50 free connects by creating a new account would be acceptable?

The email support of upwork replied: "It's okay to create a new account using the same information and device, but different email address. You shouldn't be banned as long as you will close your old account."

If you don't believe Petra, check the forum and you'll find loads of other freelancers whose accounts were banned for this.

Hi Kamran,

Please refer to the information that our agent shared with you on your support ticket. If you have any further questions feel free to follow up on your ticket and our team will be happy to assist you further. 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork

Nikola S wrote:

Hi Kamran,

Please refer to the information that our agent shared with you on your support ticket. If you have any further questions feel free to follow up on your ticket and our team will be happy to assist you further. 

Thank you,

Nikola, we've been told over and over that it's against the terms of service to close an existing account and create a new one. Can you clarify (for the whole community, not just the OP) whether this policy has now changed? If this is no longer grounds for having your account suspended or banned, then I'm sure that many other freelancers would like to take advantage of getting free connects or hiding a poor JSS score.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I'd like to confirm that according to the Upwork TOS users agree not to have or register for more than one account without express written permission from Upwork. Freelancers aren't allowed to close their existing accounts and open new accounts for the purpose of manipulating the feedback system or getting more Connects. We apologize for the incorrect information shared in the ticket and will make sure proper coaching is done.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths