Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to UpWork

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 20

Jim,

Take a step away from yourself and look at your profile objectively. Your background has provided you with niche blogs yelling, "let me out, let me out"! (If you are allowed to that is - I imagine your work may have involved the secrets act  - but even so . . .). To say nothing of niche areas in fiction and non-fiction both in  writing and editing. You have enormous resources in areas that few of us have ventured.

Put your rates up.

Highlighted
James S Member Since: Jan 17, 2017
12 of 20

Nichola,  

Thanks for your ideas a few months back. I actually got a job in academia with my first application. I have had 5 contracts (3 of them were for fun, I love to write travel blogs). Two of them have been long-term. I wrote 30 long-content articles on AP test prep and have been invited back next year during AP season. I am in a contract now writing college textbooks and assessments for an on-line education company in Australia, it looks like steady work for a while.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Jim

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
13 of 20

@Virginia F wrote:

"Blowing our own horns" is what freelancers have to do. Do not set yourself up at the start as a low-rate freelancer ... that comes to no good end.

There are many, many freelancers offering presentation work at very low rates - you may want to steer clear because they're hard to compete with. Your profile indicates that you are cut out for bigger and better things, so yes, raise your rate.

As Kat said, "it's a different world".

And thanks a lot for putting that song in my head, Kat ... I'm sure it will be in there all. day. long.

Yeah!

Build your brand (that's my spin on Virginia's sage advice). I know. "Brand" is an overused term. But, if you peruse the successful freelancers on the platform, dare I say, they've built their.....brand.

LOL...Sorry Virginia. I think I'm projecting my binge-watching of "The Office" into the forums today.

I just can't decide if I'm in Schrute mode or in rare Michael Scott form.

Highlighted
14 of 20

Virginia,

Thanks for your advice a few months back. I actually got a job in academia with my first application. I have had 5 contracts (3 of them were for fun, I love to write travel blogs). Two of them have been long-term. I wrote 30 long-content articles on AP test prep and have been invited back next year during AP season. I am in a contract now writing college textbooks and assessments for an on-line education company in Australia, it looks like steady work for a while.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Jim

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
15 of 20

Hi Jim,

You can still submit proposals to jobs that include these preferences if you have the required skillset and time to complete the job. The clients will receive your proposal so make sure to tailor each proposal you submit in order to increase your chances of getting hired. I'd also advise you to consider bidding on jobs that require your core skills right from the start.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 20

Jim,

I have just pm'd you with a link to a job that you are probably cut out for.

Highlighted
17 of 20

Vladimir,

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I guess I need to just jump in with both feet and test the waters.

Cheers,

Jim S.

Highlighted
Andre W Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
18 of 20

Hi Jim,

I'm new to Upwork and I'm interested in hearing from about how it is going.  I read the message string and have many of the challenges you mentioned.  Just curious to see how it is going for you and if the advice you received helped you to find better quality jobs.  Any insight you can provide is welcomed.

Kind regards,

Andre

Highlighted
19 of 20

Andre, Thanks for asking how things are going. As a matter of fact, they are going great. I have had 5 contracts since January, two of them long-term. I actually got a job from my very first application. I took the suggestions of those who posted to my thread and applied for jobs in my field. I would suggest sticking to your dreams and not take low-end jobs just to get a foot in the door.

Good kuck!

Jim

Highlighted
20 of 20

Vladimir,

Thanks for your advice a few months back. I actually got a job in academia with my first application. I have had 5 contracts (3 of them were for fun, I love to write travel blogs). Two of them have been long-term. I wrote 30 long-content articles on AP test prep and have been invited back next year during AP season. I am in a contract now writing college textbooks and assessments for an on-line education company in Australia, it looks like steady work for a while.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Jim

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS