🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to Upwork - Am I getting scammed?
Page options
halleyjn
Community Member

New to Upwork - Am I getting scammed?

Hello,

I just accepted my first job invitation after having two interviews with the client. 

On the job posting it says I'll will be paid $10 hourly and I'll need to be available 8:30AM to 6PM.

Now that I've started, I asked if she wants me to track my time through Upwork, and was told that she will be tracking my time per phone call (receptionist position)... Which means I won't be getting paid hourly... Right? I'm confused because I will have to be making myself available for the full 8.5 hours to take these phone calls.

I feel as if I might've gotten myself into a messy situation and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I tried to call upwork but of course was directed here. I really feel like I need someone to help me at this point, I don't know what to do.

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Jordan H wrote:

On the job posting it says I'll will be paid $10 hourly and I'll need to be available 8:30AM to 6PM.

Now that I've started, I asked if she wants me to track my time through Upwork,

Wouldn't that have been a question to ask before accepting the contract?

You also don't "ask clients if you should track your time through Upwork" - that is how hourly contracts work. That is what clients agree to when hiring you on an hourly contract.

Jordan H wrote:

I tried to call upwork but of course was directed here.

There is nothing Upwork can do so contacting them after accepting a contract before determining the terms is a waste of time.

Try to get some payment out of it, even 10 minutes will stop it becoming a "nothing paid contract" and then have an open, frank and polite conversation with the client how you can't sit there for 8.5 hours a day waiting for a call that may never come....

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths