🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to Upwork - How to Stand Out?
Page options
zylajm
Community Member

New to Upwork - How to Stand Out?

Hey Upwork Community,

I'm currently relocating with my significant other while she pursues her career ambitions, and I just learned about Upwork's platform yesterday. As someone new to the community - and without a body of reviews and experiences to carry credibility - does anyone have suggestions on snagging those first few clients?

I think I included a decent amount on my profile. The portfolio section was great. I also tried looking into Upwork's testing section (which is one of the company's suggestions). But when I started doing the Grant Writing one, for example, so many of the questions had multiple answers (most entirely dependent on how a funder structures the specific application RFP or NOFO) that I decided to consider other options.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

3 REPLIES 3
booksist
Community Member

Your profile already looks good and genuine. The one single thing that might help you get a job quickly is to narrow down your skillset. Try specifying an area or two in which you're particularly good at - like copywriting, scientific report writing (I found those in your portfolio, and I'd include them in the overview as well).

Good luck!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Justin Z wrote:

Hey Upwork Community,

I'm currently relocating with my significant other while she pursues her career ambitions, and I just learned about Upwork's platform yesterday. As someone new to the community - and without a body of reviews and experiences to carry credibility - does anyone have suggestions on snagging those first few clients?

I think I included a decent amount on my profile. The portfolio section was great. I also tried looking into Upwork's testing section (which is one of the company's suggestions). But when I started doing the Grant Writing one, for example, so many of the questions had multiple answers (most entirely dependent on how a funder structures the specific application RFP or NOFO) that I decided to consider other options.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

Get rid of all the language that does not present you as a professional, e.g., the moving, why you want to earn a few dollars on the site, plus, the hat. You would not use this pic on a resume, so it also has no place here. 

You will learn a lot by researching other freelancers that offer your skill-set. 

Martina, I disagree with you other than your suggestion for Justin to research comparable Freelancers to himself.  This isn't the brick and mortar world and even that has lightened up tremendously over the years.  IMO it's good for individuals to at least somewhat demonstrate their individuality.  I think Justin's done a great job of that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths