cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New to Upwork/Limited Experience

Highlighted
Emily W Member Since: May 4, 2017
1 of 8

I am a Proofreader/Editor with no experience on Upwork and little experience otherwise. I don't have any formal education or training in the field, but I know I have the skills and passion to do this kind of work. I have two questions:

1. How do I make my profile stand out without any education or experience to hilight? 

2. What types of clients/jobs should I be looking for in order to build my client base and get some relevant experience under my belt?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 8

Don't advertise your lack of work experience. Don't advertise your lack of professional credentials or formal educational credentials.

(Quick! Think! Who is your favorite rock and roll singer/pop artist? Does he or she have a bachelor's degree in music from an accredited university? You don't know, do you? You don't really care, do you? When you shop iTunes, you get to hear a sample of a song. You don't read: "Elvis Presley graduated with a PhD in music performance from Tulane University. His GPA was 3.34")

Emphasize WHAT YOU CAN DO.

How? With your portfolio.

Lots of portfolio items. Lots of examples.
You'll need to make portfolio items from scratch.

Show off the services you can offer to clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 8

@ Emily --

"Passion" and self-confidence are great. However, the very first line of your Profile contains errors in usage/idiom. Overall, your Profile needs some proofreading/editing itself. So does your post (above)--although I don't wish to cast any stones re: typo-ish errors in quick Forum postings. Your profile is not terrible, but it is not up to professional standards--well, unless you plan to actually charge $5.00/hour. Your skills do meet a $5/hour level.

You write with a somewhat awkward and very wordy style. You need to work in particular on parallel sentence structure and correct choice of prepositions.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 8

@Janean L wrote:

@ Emily --

"Passion" and self-confidence are great. However, the very first line of your Profile contains errors in usage/idiom. Overall, your Profile needs some proofreading/editing itself. So does your post (above)--although I don't wish to cast any stones re: typo-ish errors in quick Forum postings. Your profile is not terrible, but it is not up to professional standards--well, unless you plan to actually charge $5.00/hour. Your skills do meet a $5/hour level.

You write with a somewhat awkward and very wordy style. You need to work in particular on parallel sentence structure and correct choice of prepositions.

Which is why I wouldn't recommend the writing category either...

(Not directed at you, Janean. I'm grateful for the grammatical and syntactical precision you bring to the forum!)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 8

Emily W wrote:

I am a Proofreader/Editor with no experience on Upwork and little experience otherwise. I don't have any formal education or training in the field, but I know I have the skills and passion to do this kind of work. I have two questions:

1. How do I make my profile stand out without any education or experience to hilight? 

2. What types of clients/jobs should I be looking for in order to build my client base and get some relevant experience under my belt?

You should get relevant experience in the B & M world before freelancing. You should apply to publishing houses, or relevant businesses,  for internships that at least will give you the basics on what editing and proofreading entail.

Wanting to be an editor passionately is not enough to qualify you for the job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
6 of 8

Since you are a songwriter, maybe you could try the area of creative writing instead of (or in addition to) editing. There are a lot of requests for blog writers and maybe even some requests for songwriters. You don't have to limit yourself to proofreading and editing. I agree with the other observations about getting experience in the area prior to committing to it here.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mercedes L Member Since: Apr 5, 2017
7 of 8

Did you try completing Upwork tests on areas where you are more expert? That guides the client to know if he can rely on you (and avoid him asking for new tests of his invention - you already took the standard ones!)

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
8 of 8

@ Emily:  I wish so therefore I am???  I'm sincerely not attempting to be rude, and your "wishes" are not my area of expertise. Some of the best within that area of specialization and this Community have responded to your post.

I'm absolutely amazed when people have little or no experience in the area they want to Freelance in and sincerely seem to believe that they'll be able to accomplish that.  Confidence is one thing, but it's best tempered with reality.

Passion?  Frankly IMO if your emotions were intense enough to do that work I'd think you'd have some good experience within it.  Calling Irene...Calling Irene...what do you think?