🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New to Upwork - Looking for feedback on profi...
Page options
jdthomson
Community Member

New to Upwork - Looking for feedback on profile

Hello Upworkers

I am an experienced freelancer with +6 years in digital marketing & joined Upwork not long ago.

I just wanted to get some feedback on my profile as I have not managed to get my first job on Upwork yet.

I have used all my 20 free connects and been invited to 1 job and before I buy more connects I thought I would ask the great Upwork community to see if there is any room for improvement to my profile or any tips for getting started on Upwork.

I understand that there are lots of posts about this but I have read them all and think that I am doing it right (but I may be missing something).

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
rlouw
Community Member

Hi Jack,

Welcome to Upwork!

I think you have a good portfolio and quite a diverse set of skills.

Good job.

My tips would be:

- Shorten the overview

- You have a diverse set of skills so maybe seperate your strongest skills into 1-2 specialized profiles.

jdthomson
Community Member

Hello Robin L

Thanks for the feedback will give the specialized profile a go & see if that helps

Thanks again.

niag
Community Member

Hi Jack! You've filled your profile out thoroughly, which is good. However, this would be my suggestion to you.

Center your profile more on potential clients. You have some nuggets in there but it would be more effective to speak primarily to their current situation, needs, wants, goals, etc. than about yourself and your experience.

Not to say that that's not interesting info. However, most have similar profiles that run down years of experience, degrees, education, yada yada. These things do not in themselves make a person capable, trustworthy, etc. And doing this only makes you blend in with everyone else.

You'll be more likely to stand out if you show that you understand the client and what they want to achieve; you'll be showing your expertise rather than telling it. This builds trust (and also works well with proposals).

As a challenge, go through your overview and specialized profiles and see how many times you can replace the word "I" with "you".

Pay special attention to the first couple sentences of your profile. In Upwork search results, all potential clients can see is a sentence or two so it has to count or they'll scroll past. It has to be eye-catching, intriguing or in some way relevant to them. As your name is already shown, introducing yourself, while the thought is nice, could be costing you invitations.

Hope this helps you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths