cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Upwork - Time Tracker & weekly Hours

Highlighted
Maria F Member Since: Jan 23, 2017
1 of 15

Hello , My name is Maria and I am new to Upwork eheh.

I have spent some time searching the Forum for answers to my questions. Nonetheless since im quite "Noob" to this all process, I would gladly ask for your help in some questions/doubts I have.

Thank you guys in advance for the time reading and answering my doubts!

So lets get into it then! Smiley Happy

1) I am in the process of getting hired for the first time! The job states a weekly limit of 3 hours.

1.1) My question is: Since I dont remember how much time did I say I would take to complete the task, How do I check it?  

1.2) Does this mean i can not work more than 3 hours a week on the project in any way?

2) Concerning the time tracker device. Since I didnt work in any contract, I cant see how does it work. The SS taken are automatically sent to the client once it is taken?  What does it mean reviewing the segments at the end of the "working day".

Regards

Maria Ferreira Lima

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 15

Hi Maria,

If you interviewed and discussed the job in Upwork Messages, you can go to your Messages tab and check the room where you communicated with the client. You can also go to Find Work> Proposals and check the original proposal.

If the client sets a weekly limit, you can track time beyond that limit but the client will only be billed for hours within the limit they set - 3 hours. You will need to communicate with your client and ask them to pay for the overtime in a bonus.

When you log your time using Upwork App, the screenshots appear in your Work DIary in real time. Both you and your client can access the Work Diary for the contract. You can make changes to your Work Diary during the work week and freelancer review period, but will not be able to change it after freelancer review period is over at 11:59 a.m. UTC on Monday.

Please, check this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 15

Thank you so much for answering me Valeria! However I still don't understand something. I went to find work > proposals and I checked the original proposal but I still didn't find the spot where in first place I told the client how much time I would eventually spent to finish the job. Does the estimated duration works only for fixed price jobs?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 15

Maria,

Estimate duration field is available for fixed-price jobs. Since on hourly jobs the client pays for the time worked rather than for the completed product, there is no option to propose an estimate duration. You can still discuss it with the client in Messages prior to accepting the offer. You may also want communicate with the client about how many weeks they expect you to work.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
5 of 15

Also, once we didn't talk about how much time would I take to finish the job, can I ask him? He says, "3 weekly hours" but how many weeks? what if says the minimum time (one week)...?

Highlighted
6 of 15

Hi there, so I'm having a bit a problem understanding how the weekly hours work.

So first of all, the main doubt is: - the client says that I have 3 weekly hours but we didn't discuss of how many weeks. What if I can finish the job in one week, do I have only 3 hours? maybe I have to talk about this with the client to set things upin a way that the tow of us agree on the conditions, right?

thank you so much!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 15

The client is willing to pay you for three  hours per week.

If you work for more than that, your time will be recorded but you won't be paid.

"Jeff,

Thank you again for the opportunity to work on this project. I have worked three hours this week, which is the maximum allowable hours per week. I would be happy to wait until next week to continue. But I have some more time that I can work on Friday. If you would like me to continue this week, I can do so if you raise the limit on the number of hours."

Highlighted
8 of 15

Thank you so much! It was super clarifying!

Highlighted
9 of 15

Hello,

I'm have some doubts. My clients says "Manual time allowed: yes". However, I already read some comments here saying that even if you input manual hours the client will not be billed for it. So I mean, what's the point? Is there any upside of having this?

thank you so much! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
10 of 15

The client will be billed for the manual time.  The payment guarantee does not apply to manual hours, however.  In my experience, it has never been a problem to get paid for manual hours.