🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to Upwork & Need Clarification, Pleas...
Page options
starfairy4444
Community Member

New to Upwork & Need Clarification, Please

Hi there, 

I am a 'newbie' freelancing on Upwork.  I proposed a job and was accepted.  I read the job details very carefully; after finishing the project in a couple of days, I was given 4/5 review stars by the client.  I asked the client if they could please provide a reason as to why I didn't receive the 5/5 stars.  The client's response was that the quality of my work was great, but that work received from others was a quicker turnaround time.  The deadline was for next week (I provided the work five days ahead of the deadline). I am extremely confused about this, and worried about receiving an unfair review (in my opinion). The 'availability' category was what the client didn't give me full marks for; getting back to the client was something I did within 10 minutes for each message.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much!  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, Cheryl.

If you know you did your best for the client, that will have to be enough - this time and at least a few more times with your future clients.

Upwork has set up the rating system such that, for many freelancers, only all 5s is considered to be adequate. However, clients interpret the stars rating system however they wish. (I once had a client complain in this feedback that my rate per hour was too high. Of course, he could have used any of many other freelancers to do the project at a lower rate, but he chose me - knowing what my rate was - because he could see I had the experience and expertise to give him the end product he wanted. Go figure.)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Yet another case of a freelancer who thinks anything less than perfect feedback from a client is a failure. Thank you, Job Success Score!

Unless I am mistaken, you can ask the client to change their existing feedback, and then mark their feedback on Upwork to make that change allowable. Then you have to hope the client will make your feedback all 5s. 

Hi Will,

Thank you for your message.  I think for me one of the issues I have is that following the job details would allow for a score to reflect that.  Since no mention of requiring a quick turn-around was given, I didn't understand why the score didn't reflect my work.

I am writing in this forum because I had contacted the client to ask about it and the response was given as to why they didn't provide me with the 'perfect' score.  In my opinion, the client seemed firm with their response. 

Hi, Cheryl.

If you know you did your best for the client, that will have to be enough - this time and at least a few more times with your future clients.

Upwork has set up the rating system such that, for many freelancers, only all 5s is considered to be adequate. However, clients interpret the stars rating system however they wish. (I once had a client complain in this feedback that my rate per hour was too high. Of course, he could have used any of many other freelancers to do the project at a lower rate, but he chose me - knowing what my rate was - because he could see I had the experience and expertise to give him the end product he wanted. Go figure.)

Hi Will,

That helps a lot; thank you.  I did my very best for the client who did say I did a 'great' job.  I guess I was under the assumption that clients use the rating system in the same vain as the freelancers.  

What you mentioned about the client indicating your fee was too high and yet chose you for the work is a great example of the interpretation of the star ratings.  I'll keep this in mind from now on and let this one go.  Thank you, Will; muchly appreciated. 

@Will L wrote:

Yet another case of a freelancer who thinks anything less than perfect feedback from a client is

I think this is a situation where we may have a difference of opinion as to what's the chicken and what's the egg here.

You believe this thinking is somehow caused by the JSS. (Because you weren't around when there was no JSS, only the never ending quest for "only 5 stars..."

I am of the opinion that we have the JSS at least partially because freelancers have complained to clients (NOT that the OP did that) or have gone as far as threatening or hounding or worse the client just because a client didn't give them a full 5 out of 5.

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't familiar with the whole JSS thing yet and a 4.85 won't have an effect on that anyway.

petra_r
Community Member

You got a 4.85 - not 4/5 - it's virtually 5.00 and you think that's "unfair?"

Personally I'd shrug and move on. I'd certainly not have asked the client about it. You're not going to get a full 5 stars for everything every time.

Hi Petra,

Thank you for your message.  Perhaps I should ask an addition question.  When something isn't specified in the job proposal (such as turnaround time but a deadline is given), should I ask the client about it? I just want to do a really good job on each assignment, and if I understand things ahead of time, it will assist me in the future. Since I am new and am trying to build a portfolio, I want to understand the expectations.  This was my first feedback, so I do appreciate your comments. 

@Cheryl G wrote:

Hi Petra,

Thank you for your message.  Perhaps I should ask an addition question.  When something isn't specified in the job proposal (such as turnaround time but a deadline is given), should I ask the client about it?

I always do... Or always say "I'll get it back to you on ...."  That day / date is ALWAYS well later than I INTEND and PLAN to get it back to them. That way I have don't have to panic in case of emergencies, and can / usually do deliver well before the client expects it.

Don't worry about a 4.85. It's a great score and frankly no client will think any less of you because it wasn't a perfect 5!

re: "I was given 4/5 review stars by the client.  I asked the client if they could please provide a reason as to why I didn't receive the 5/5 stars"

The good news is that you got a GREAT score (4.85 !).

What you did, by asking the client about the score, is what makes me not want to hire a freelancer again. I classify those people as "pests." (Not you, of course... just the freelancers I hire who ask me about their scores if they don't receive a perfect 5.)

There's not actually any bad news for you, except that you were chastised gently here in the Forum.

But you have learned something, and you will be an even more informed Upwork freelancer going forward.

Hi Preston,

Thank you for your message.  I appreciate your words and comments.  Everyone is new at some point, and this is my introduction to the way things work at Upwork! All good things to know, and yes, most definitely lessons have been learned by yours truly.

My intention when I asked my question today was to understand how the scoring works.  Moving forward I will ask about turnaround times as Petra noted; further, I will realize that the client's point of view in providing scores is subjective.  This helps a lot in the way I will view feedback.  

Thank you, Preston; the gentle chastising wasn't expected, but I have learned valuable information from it and am grateful for it.

Hi Petra,

Excellent advice and I shall heed it moving forward.  

Thank you also for the comment about the score; another thing I will keep in mind. 

I really appreciate your advice, Petra.

kat303
Community Member

Cheryl, - First IMO I would not ask a client to change their feedback. To me, that's being unprofessional.

You got a 4.85 star review. That is excellent. Every client has a different interpretation on ratings. For one client a 5 star review might mean excellent work but to another it might mean Extraordinary, beyond perfection. That client may never give any freelancer a 5 start rating.

Also, a client may give you a 5 star rating, which is your public rating, but give you a very low rating for the private rating, and that's what effects your JSS score.

I would advise you to to be very happey with the rating you got from this client. And be prepared, in the future, you might get a very low rate no matter how good your work is because you can't please everyone.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths