cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New to Upwork and Client sent an Offer

Crista Lorraine M Member Since: Apr 30, 2017
1 of 6

Hi guys! I'm new to upwork. Recently this week I sent proposals to clients. One client sent an offer to me directly today without interviewing me or contacting me first since his work description is incomplete. Should I accept the offer right away? Or should I wait for the client to contact me regarding the project? Thank you and have a nice day!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

@Crista Lorraine M wrote:

Hi guys! I'm new to upwork. Recently this week I sent proposals to clients. One client sent an offer to me directly today without interviewing me or contacting me first since his work description is incomplete. Should I accept the offer right away? Or should I wait for the client to contact me regarding the project? Thank you and have a nice day!

Do not accept the contract until you have clarified what it is the client needs, you know that you can do the work and have all the details and / or files necessary to start working.

Crista Lorraine M Member Since: Apr 30, 2017
3 of 6

Exactly. Thank you Ms. Petra! 

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
4 of 6

You have to be sure it's funded, so when you send the work you can have your payment even if client goes away. Please, read all about getting paid in help section.

5 of 6

@Vesna M wrote:

You have to be sure it's funded, so when you send the work you can have your payment even if client goes away.

2 issues with that: She can't get paid without submitting work and without instructions she would not know what to work on.

For all we know it could be an hourly contract offer and again  she can't track time without instructions as she would not know what to work on.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

As a client, I have indeed hired many freelancers with absolutely no interview. But that is because my job description provided all necessary details to complete the project. Freelancers applied to these jobs and appreciated the opportunity to work and get paid without needing to spend time "interviewing."

So it is certainly possible to agree to job offers with no interview, but only when it is clear what you are expected to do.

As a freelancer I never agree to fixed-price contracts unless I first have all instructions and input files necessary to complete the project.

For hourly contracts I will agree to accept contracts with MUCH LESS detail, but I need to know  something... At least enough to do ten minutes of work. I don't mind a certain level of ambiguity with these. I would rather log time and get paid while discussing the job than do that for free under the guise of an "interview."

And of course no freelancer should accept a contract from a client who seems shady, is a scammer, or wants to violate Upwork TOS.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS