🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to Upwork, did my first (hourly) job,...
Page options
hiresarahjones
Community Member

New to Upwork, did my first (hourly) job, but didn't know about the app! Now what?

Hi there! This is my first Upwork project and I'm a little clueless as to how this works...Someone responded to my proposal, we had a conversation about the work, agreed on projected hours at the rate in my proposal, and I've completed the work, which is due tomorrow. After all of this I just learned there's an app I should be using to log my time-what do I do if I've already done the work? Or should a contract be generated by my client? Should I ask him to change to ao fixed rate since the work is completed? 

Thanks so much, I want to turn in my work but have no idea what to do next !!!!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sarah J wrote:

Thanks, Robin. The issue is I don't have a "job" yet. I want to know what I can put in place now for this project before actually submitting the work. My client is somewhat new to Upwork as well and is figuring this out along with me but we both need a little guidance figuring out the next step.

We think he should now generate a fixed-rate contract for our agreed-on hours of work. Is that correct?

(And yes, I will download the app before the next project, thank you.)

Yes, you should ask the person (future client) to set up a fixed price contract for the total agreed amount, send you an offer, which you accept, then you send the file, then you click submit for payment. 

Good thing is that you didn't send the work yet, as then your probabilíty to get paid would be very low. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
robin_hyman
Community Member

Hi there! This is my first Upwork project and I'm a little clueless as to how this works...Someone responded to my proposal, we had a conversation about the work, agreed on projected hours at the rate in my proposal, and I've completed the work, which is due tomorrow. After all of this I just learned there's an app I should be using to log my time-what do I do if I've already done the work? Or should a contract be generated by my client? Should I ask him to change to ao fixed rate since the work is completed? 

As a new freelancer, there are a ton of resources Upwork provides that you should be reading BEFORE accepting a contract. Otherwise, you'll make mistakes and they will cost you. 

Did you have a contract? If not, you just did the work for free.

If you have a contract and it's hourly, there is a chance the client accepted manual hours. Go to "My Jobs". Click on the job. Go to "Terms and Settings". Is manual time allowed? You use the work diary to track your hours manually. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068518-Use-Your-Work-Diary

Everyone on the platform will tell you to track via the desktop app. That way you are guaranteed to get paid (app takes screenshots of your work). 

Thanks, Robin. The issue is I don't have a "job" yet. I want to know what I can put in place now for this project before actually submitting the work. My client is somewhat new to Upwork as well and is figuring this out along with me but we both need a little guidance figuring out the next step.

We think he should now generate a fixed-rate contract for our agreed-on hours of work. Is that correct?

Sarah J wrote:

Yes, you should ask the person (future client) to set up a fixed price contract for the total agreed amount, send you an offer, which you accept, then you send the file, then you click submit for payment. 

Good thing is that you didn't send the work yet, as then your probabilíty to get paid would be very low. 

Please Ma, am new to upwork too, I would like to be guided on how to get jobs and also the app you talked about. Thank you

Hi Alexandra,

Welcome to Upwork! We have some great resources to help you get started, here are some of them:

Getting Started on Upwork

Events & Webinars

I’m New Here, What Should I Know?

Critical Upwork Policies

And lastly, since you asked, you can find info about the Desktop App here.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea,
Thanks a lot, this was very helpful.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths