🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to Upwork
Page options
magmae77
Community Member

New to Upwork

I have submitted several proposals with no responses. Any advice for new to Upwork people?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sgortyal
Community Member

Hi Maggie, Here are some suggestions:

- Build your profile, as its first thing where the client comes to know more about you. As you are looking for jobs of PA, you can share your previous work experiences under experiences tab. Use the portfolio section extensively. 

- Be genuine and original, while writing a job proposal, don't use any templates. Build trust and assurance through your proposal, convince them how you can do this job perfectly for them. Write more about the job rather than talking about yourself. You can tell them how you gonna achieve job goals in this period of time. (Even I'm in the learning process!)

- You can attach some previous works of yours to the proposal. In your case, you can share your experiences as e.g. for ABC company, I was PA for VP of the team and worked for 6 months.

- Also in some cases, Job selection matters. You can use filters to choose jobs from your region or where there is less competition. But as you build your profile and got some initial jobs, you might get invitations for jobs from clients if they see you are the best choice for their job. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
sgortyal
Community Member

Hi Maggie, Here are some suggestions:

- Build your profile, as its first thing where the client comes to know more about you. As you are looking for jobs of PA, you can share your previous work experiences under experiences tab. Use the portfolio section extensively. 

- Be genuine and original, while writing a job proposal, don't use any templates. Build trust and assurance through your proposal, convince them how you can do this job perfectly for them. Write more about the job rather than talking about yourself. You can tell them how you gonna achieve job goals in this period of time. (Even I'm in the learning process!)

- You can attach some previous works of yours to the proposal. In your case, you can share your experiences as e.g. for ABC company, I was PA for VP of the team and worked for 6 months.

- Also in some cases, Job selection matters. You can use filters to choose jobs from your region or where there is less competition. But as you build your profile and got some initial jobs, you might get invitations for jobs from clients if they see you are the best choice for their job. 

Great information. Thank you for taking the time!

florydev
Community Member

You need to think about your profile from a client's perspective, they are coming to it and are wanting to see that you can solve their problems.  Your profile description is very sparse and all of it is about you.  Saying very little is good as long as you can pack a lot of punch in a few lines.  

This is not a resume cover letter, this is a sales pitch.  Why can you do what they need done?  Think about the things that you do really well and that is the work you should go after.  When a client comes to see your profile, with a job that you want, they need an answer in those few lines that you can do it.

You are simply offering you services as a "Administrative/Personal Assistant".

There is nothing special about that.

Would expert administrative assistant be better? Thanks for your help!

Great information! I used the prompts from Upwork and I reworked it. I am not sure if it is any good. I thought the sales pitch was more when you did the proposals. I've worked from home a few times, but freelancing is new to me. 

Thanks!

It’s only an opinion...but everything is a sales pitch. Plus not every job comes from a proposal you can also get invites.

Definitely makes sense. You are trying to sell your services. I have never worked in sales so it is maybe not my strongest suits. I am going to keep working on it!

Maggie O wrote:

Definitely makes sense. You are trying to sell your services. I have never worked in sales so it is maybe not my strongest suits. I am going to keep working on it!

I think that is most of us.  All I can say is if I can do it so can you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths