🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to Upwork
Page options
awolfe737
Community Member

New to Upwork

Hello:

I am new to upwork specializing in creative writing, blog writing, and various other topics. I have no experience and no samples other than a blog page where I have written 3 articles. How can I catch the client's attnetion as a newbie? Any help would be great thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

You need to present a compelling portfolio on your profile page.

I think you may be using limited thinking when it comes to your portfolio.

Your portfolio items do not need to be limited to work that you did on Upwork, or work that you were paid for.

If you need to create new portfolio items from scratch to show off your abilities, then go for it!

a_lipsey
Community Member

Austin W wrote:

Hello:

I am new to upwork specializing in creative writing, blog writing, and various other topics. I have no experience and no samples other than a blog page where I have written 3 articles. How can I catch the client's attnetion as a newbie? Any help would be great thanks.

Screenshot the articles and use them in your portofolio, for one. 

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Austin. 

You are a Drexel man, can get an internship at a Hedge Fund, and have the moxie to be a tax accountant.  There is horsepower inside of you that is special.  Currently, you are displaying yourself as a 3-legged mule.  You are better than this.  Way, way better than this.

Profile: I have seen more effort placed into getting a kegger party organized than I see in your profile.  You are advertising yourself as a writer.  Writers write.  Write a longer profile.  Stop talking so much about how much you love writing and start talking about the business experience you deliver to clients.  On-time, on-budget work.   Perfectly-proofed work.  High-quality content SEO for your blogging work. 

Portfolio: writers write.  Write yourself five 300-worders - one each within your areas of focus.  Illustrate them nicely.  Load them in.  Wha-la. Portfolio.

You are positioning blogs (which I assume are the 300 to 400-word range) for $60.  Guy, you should be mopping the floor with your competition given your education and obvious capabilities. Half the world is looking for blogging work from U.S. sources at this rate.

Other areas of focus
Your work profile has a gap of 2 years from internship to an accountant.  That looks strange.  Can you fix that?

Hit the pause button.  You understand what I am referencing.  Put a Drexel man's heart and mind into your profile and portray yourself as a hedge-fund-class super-competitor to win writing work.

Then. You will win work.  For now, you have Jr. college 2-year English major written all over you.  You are better than this.

Wow. Thank you for that constructive criticism. I really needed that.
I am getting right on it. The 2 year gap, I was taking on different
internships.

Edited out. 

Hello:

My profile is not a fraud but great observation you made. I appreciate your input. My LinkedIn profile matches up by the way.

Austin W wrote:
Hello:

My profile is not a fraud but great observation you made. I appreciate your input. My LinkedIn profile matches up by the way.

Austin W wrote:
Hello:

Austin, 

Please accept my very sincere apologies. 

Hello,

As I re-read my posting, I feel a bit of embarrassment.   It was a bit aggressive -- perhaps -- way too aggressive.  I had just rolled off a project-win competition to win work I wanted.  I hail from enterprise IT systems sales.  It is one of the most aggressive sales environments on this planet.  "Amped up" was the mindset.  It would have been best to edit my thoughts to be more gentle.

What I want for your -- truly want for you to want and have for yourself.  Is to understand this platform, that does have its gentle and nice parts.  Is one of the most competitive business environments this world has seen.  It attracts brilliant people in their profession. It attracts people with extraordinary capabilities to express themselves.  It attracts people with their backs against the proverbial wall  -- with the emotions attached to such driving their efforts.

With but a mere 30 hours of time -- focused -- you have Drexel-class tools to debut yourself to the world with power and prestige.   30 hours of time, focused on profile and getting some form of portfolio created of value.

That is exactly what this platform can provide.  Our debut and introduction to the world. I think that is worth 30 hours.   40 hours?   50 hours of time to prep your presentation.

We only get to debut on the world stage once in our life, in some ways.  This is your shot.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths