🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to Upwork
Page options
uchi47
Community Member

New to Upwork

I created my profile 2 years ago. But I got an office based job that's why I haven't used this yet. Can someone help me on how can I get clients? Since I'm new with this, I really don't have any virtual work history in my profile. I am a General Accountant in my current job but due to the pandemic happening across the globe, I want to pursue a home based job and projects.

12 REPLIES 12
lysis10
Community Member

You just posted your full private info on a public forum. You're gonna do great, sweetie.

uchi47
Community Member

I already edited. Thank you so much. Sorry, newbie mistakes. Smiley Very Happy

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm anxious to see what our more experienced co-members reply.

I am a freelance graphic designer with 30 years experience but I only started with this website this month. I've burned through over 300 connects without seeing any positive results. I feel so frustrated that this feels like a slot machine that hasn't paid out yet.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know how to break through and get noticed. I'm beginning to think that my proposals aren't even being seen.

Yeah. I don't even know where else can I find virtual jobs. I mean, outside upwork. 

Dyanne M wrote:
Yeah. I don't even know where else can I find virtual jobs. I mean, outside upwork. I only have 54 connects left.

Only?? Lol I'd kill for that many connects.

Yes, because his is 300 connects. Smiley Very Happy

Dyanne M wrote:
Yes. I'm just using my free 80 connects as a start-up given by upwork.

You should not say that out loud. They give 20 connects to newbies now. 

Maybe rewrite your profile - you are not applying to a job, the text would not even be fit for a proposal. 

Thank you, Ma'am for the advise 

Dyanne M wrote:

Who is he and why does he have 300 connects?

Martina P wrote:

Dyanne M wrote:

Who is he and why does he have 300 connects?

He must have bought them. 

robin_hyman
Community Member

Oh newbies...

There's no "right" answer to how to get clients. You have to try different things like look for work on Upwork and other platforms. Review top rated freelancer profiles (and not copy them). Be picky about the jobs you apply to..really 300 connects? 

Make sure your profile doesn't include your name in the first line. The first few lines are what a client sees in a search so make sure you use the real estate to stand out from the thousands of others who have more experience and/or more completed jobs. 

Be optimistic... your first job could be around the corner. 

Thank you, Sir Robin for the advise! I will take your advise as I go on. Smiley Happy

About the connects, probably he bought it, the first one to comment in this thread. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths