Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Upwork!

Highlighted
Glen E Member Since: Mar 11, 2017
1 of 8

Hello,

I am new to Upwork and am struggling to get work? I have a good portfolio, have 10 years experience in web design, I am from the United Kingdom and have a very professional approach to my work.

I have filled in the correct relevant info, ticked the boxes and applied for many jobs, but had no reply!

Where am I going wrong? I more than qualify and can offer most services related to web design, my hourly rate is lower than I would normally charge and I am offering more than I normally would in the real world, so what am I doing wrong?

I hope you can provide more than just take the tests, reduce my hourly rate or juice up my portfolio!

Look forward to your answers.

Glen.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

@Glen E wrote:

Hello,

I am new to Upwork and am struggling to get work? I have a good portfolio, have 10 years experience in web design, I am from the United Kingdom and have a very professional approach to my work.

I have filled in the correct relevant info, ticked the boxes and applied for many jobs, but had no reply!

Where am I going wrong? I more than qualify and can offer most services related to web design, my hourly rate is lower than I would normally charge and I am offering more than I normally would in the real world, so what am I doing wrong?

I hope you can provide more than just take the tests, reduce my hourly rate or juice up my portfolio!

Look forward to your answers.

Glen.

Highlighted brown is what you are doing wrong. Freelancing is different, but it is still the real world. You have to eat, pay the mortgage and taxes. Up the ante and in your proposals prove to your clients that they will get  what they pay for.

The first three lines of your proposal is valuable real estate, don't waste it on touchy-feely introductions. It's the first thing clients see and they might not bother to hit the "more" button.

Don't do what I have just done (famine lapping at the shore - in spite of experience) and weakly agree to a price you know is too low.  My stats got smacked and I got very little real dosh out of it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 8

Thank you Nichola,

Wise words and I am sure this will help! I will look at my profile again and re-arrange what stands out first and will keep my hourly rate at a comfortable one that suits me.

Appreciate your feedback and looking forward to some work soon...

Regards,

Glen.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 8

Glen, given you don't want to take any tests, I'd make one suggestion. Omit references to other freelancer sites in your overview. Even if that doesn't violate ToS, I'd think it would exclude you from Rising Talent consideration. The one area you haven't covered in your post is what type of jobs you've been applying to. If you've concentrated on jobs with the potential for a decent sum, you might lower your standards temporarily when applying for fixed price jobs, because a small budget job in your work history is better than an empty work history.

5 of 8

Great advice John, it's not that I don't want to take any tests it's just that I haven't got round to it and was expecting this to be a little different to Freelancer/people per hour?

I am going to remove references and mention the jobs I am applying/looking for in my profile area. Maybe I haven't spent enough quality time reviewing my profile and what will attract potential clients.

Thanks again,

Regards, 

Glen.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
6 of 8

@ Glen:  Nichola and John have shared some wise advice with you.  "FYI" there are supposedly nearly 194,000 Web Designers on this platform.  I'm not telling you that to discouarge you; "knowledge is power."  You need to stand out.  One way to do this is to as objectively as possible put yourself in the role of Client and determine what within a Freelancer's Profile would appeal to you.  Hope that helps, Glen.  BTW-Welcome to Upwork! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
7 of 8

Stand out is my new mission!

Thanks for the welcome and the support guys.

Thanks Pat.

Regards,

Glen.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sharon L Member Since: Jun 14, 2015
8 of 8

From personal experience, I think that being able to do work beyond the confines of your job really helps. You may wish to do your own project which requires more skill than what your day-to-day job demands. This will help reassure potential clients that you will be able to deliver what you say you can.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS