edie-okamoto

New to Upworks and the only responses I got are known spammers

I tried out Upworks because I want to write an article about the experience. 

What I found is that I had to go through all sort of effort to set up a profile.  The only thing I have received so far are spammers trying to invest my computer.  I had to flatten my computer and reinstall my system, which took hours. 

When I tried to get help and clarity it seems that the Upwork Management either is not aware of simply doesn't care. 

I am a blogger and I would love to learn more about Upworks and how people experience, what they think the benefits and the draw backs may be.  In the past I hired people from Elance and other services but this service is quickly becoming suspect. Why is does this organization allow known crooks use the site for spam and virus spreading? 

**Edited for Community Guidelines*

7 REPLIES 7
versailles

They may not have the means, financial and technical, to implement appropriate counter measures. You shall note that this plague almost always hits newcomers. Once you're well established, they don't approach you.

And one you're established, you can be really successful. But there is an entry test. If you survive all those scammers, you're fit for working here.

Wait, maybe it's not that Upwork cannot do anything against this, maybe it's the part of the entry test 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
colettelewis

@Edie O wrote:

So you can - what's the problem? (By the way it is Upwork - no 's')

What I found is that I had to go through all sort of effort to set up a profile.  The only thing I have received so far are spammers trying to invest my computer.  I had to flatten my computer and reinstall my system, which took hours. 

Well yes, setting up a profile does take a little time and effort. As to the rest . . .  you could have reported the spammers who are trying to "invest" your computer.  It is probably better not to "flatten" your computer . . .

When I tried to get help and clarity it seems that the Upwork Management either is not aware of simply doesn't care.

Customer services do try, but sometimes you do have to help them.

I am a blogger and I would love to learn more about Upworks and how people experience, what they think the benefits and the draw backs may be.  In the past I hired people from Elance and other services but this service is quickly becoming suspect. Why is does this organization allow known crooks use the site for spam and virus spreading? 

Even bloggers need to learn about Upwork (no 's') and if you want to know more about some of what people experience, you only have to read the forums -  plenty of copy there - though if you actually copy, woe betide you. 

Why is does this organization allow known crooks use the site for spam and virus

Upwork does its best to eliminate scammers. It is down to the freelancer to report and avoid them. Virus spreading? The minute you log on to the Internet, there is a potential virus lurking. How do you suggest Upwork stop this?  As to "known crooks" . . . I don't think they are "known", that is the problem, and Upwork is not a police station.

kat303

@Edie O wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines*

Usually, people who sign up on sites such as this, do it because this is their means of making a living. If you have the skills needed to do the same, and are looking for jobs that require those skills and in your spare time writing a book about your experiences, great. But if not, then perhaps you should post your requirements as a job here,, hire a few freelancers who can provide responses or articles of their experiences that you can use and pay them a fee for that,

Yes it takes effort AND time to set up a profile, And a portfolio, and a resume or installing software on a computer. but if your serious and put in that effort and time, you'll reap the benefits.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by invest your computer and flatten your computer mean, But any computer or any device (even smartphones) that have the ability to connect to the internet, will need some good internet security suite/anti virus protection such as Kaspersky Malwarebytes, Norton Security suite or any other VERY good anti virus protection.

As for Customer Service, - they can be fantastic at times, and at other times, it'll feel like you're trying to communicate with a group of monkeys (sorry customer service) You can always ask your questions here, and most of the time, you'll get responses from us that will solve your problems. Also there are Great moderators on here that will quickly escalate your problem and get results pretty quickly.

Upwork will not post a job that is violation of their TOS, but no one is perfect. Jobs do slip in. but they can only do so much. A lot of scams are only reveled in communication between the scammers and freelancers. Upwork can't monitor these and all communication (that sometimes happens off site)  If you see or know of a scam job you can flag it, or submit a ticket and have it taken down.

And as long as newbies keep falling for these scams because they don't take the time to learn about them or the procedures of the site, these scams will keep happening.

Edie, others have already written great replies to your post so I'll just clarify one issue you raised. You wrote, "What I found is that I had to go through all sort of effort to set up a profile." and then you asked "Why is does this organization allow known crooks use the site for spam and virus spreading?"

Part of the reason it takes effort to set up a profile is that Upwork uses it in part to screen crooked freelancers. One suggestion I would make with respect to your own profile is to change English level from Native or Bilingual to something more modest, perhaps Fluent, even if your profile is 100% accurate, because I find it hard to swallow that an experienced SF bilingual blogger would write "The only thing I have received so far are spammers trying to invest my computer.  I had to flatten my computer and reinstall my system, which took hours." I *guess* you meant "infect my conputer" instead of "invest my computer", but "flatten my computer" defeats me, unless you meant 'shut down my computer'. If anything, parts of your post look like something Google translate might produce.

John - Flatten means 1 of 2 things.

1. make the computer flat, like a pancake. How that was done and with what it was done, remains a mystery.

2. reformat the hard drive of the computer, reinstall the OS and then reinstall all programs, files, and download any special programs and reinstall them too.

Both of the above can take hours, and sometimes it may run into the next day.

Kathy, thanks. I guess I've been out of the IT jargon loop too long. (Or maybe because having moved from Windows to Mac OS, it's something I rarely think about. Cat Wink (And before anyone points out that Mac OS isn't virus immune, I do have an anti-virus app running continuously.))

I didn't know what it meant either John, and I'm a Windows die-hard and in the IT industry. I think it's not very common and/or quite old-fashioned.