🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to Upworks, submitted 27 Proposals ov...
Page options
aetrageser05
Community Member

New to Upworks, submitted 27 Proposals over the course of 3 days, no luck yet.... suggestions?

Hi all! 

I have an extensive background in Marketing & I figured I would try this site out! Can anyone elaborate on some tips that will get me started? I have submitted 27 proposals over the course of 3 days & nothing yet. I updated my profile, did some research on what should be on there....ect. Also I make sure to answer all questions in detail, I provide my cover letter and resume. WHAT GIVES.......

4 REPLIES 4
colettelewis
Community Member

Anna T wrote:

Hi all! 

I have an extensive background in Marketing & I figured I would try this site out! Can anyone elaborate on some tips that will get me started? I have submitted 27 proposals over the course of 3 days & nothing yet. I updated my profile, did some research on what should be on there....ect. Also I make sure to answer all questions in detail, I provide my cover letter and resume. WHAT GIVES.......

It takes time and there are thousands of freelancers on this site who are in marketing.  So slow down on the proposals and really analyze each one to assess if this is the job you really want and the job you can really deliver on. 

I am sure you have read all this but FWIW it's a good place to start: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Thank you so much!! Much appreciated 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Well, it's not a vending machine. Have you ever freelanced before?  It is different from job hunting. Clients here don't have time to open your resume, that's what your UW profile is for. They see only the first couple of lines of your cover letter unless they click it open. It's short attention span theater, so be brief but solid.

I came to Upwork with 20+ years of freelance experience. Got one small project from my first 30 proposals. Got a second small one from the second 30, plus the first client hired me again. It took about six months to feel like I was starting to gain traction and over a year to really get busy.

Search for FLs here who are doing what you want to be doing, who have experience and credentials comparable to your own, and study how they are presenting themselves and what they are charging. 

Also, while you're waiting for your next ration of connects, use the time wisely by reading the information UW provides for new FLs. Get familiar with the different types of contracts, payment procedures and schedules (they vary), the Terms of Service, etc. And spend some time browsing this forum--it's an encyclopedia of how to succeed on UW (and how not to). Freelancing is a long game. If you're serious about it, do the homework and avoid unnecessary problems.

Good luck!

Hello!

I have not Freelanced on a website before only to real estate agents for their social media marketing. Thank you for the tips!! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths