🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New to this site
Page options
moorhead
Community Member

New to this site

Hello, I have a question, I am new to this site and undertook my first job which I completed and the client was happy with.  I kept a record of hours worked on the project. I notice I was marked as the active candidacy but did not recieve any other formal notification on the work only emails and phone call. Would the client have had to deposit currency in the form of escrow? in order to post the job in the first instance?

I'm absolutely certain the client is not at fault on this, as I well expect it is there first posting on here. So to get back to my original query what is the process for payment.

Many Thanks in Advance

Al

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am new to this site and undertook my first job which I completed and the client was happy with. I kept a record of hours worked on the project."

It is great that you are learning now about the mistakes that you made.

For example, as freelancers we do not "keep a record of the hours we work on the project."

Rather: We use the desktop time-tracker application to record our time automatically.

re: "I notice I was marked as the active candidacy"

You now know that being marked as an "active candidacy" means that you were not actually hired.

You can not get paid if you don't have a contract.

re: "but did not recieve any other formal notification on the work only emails and phone call."

You now know that this is now how things work here.

If you don't see a contract listed here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

...Then it means you were not actually hired.

re: "Would the client have had to deposit currency in the form of escrow?"

You now know that there is no escrow associated with hourly contracts.

Escrow if only associated with fixed-price contracts.

re: "I'm absolutely certain the client is not at fault on this"

I agree.

It is not a client's responsibility to know how Upwork works for freelancers.

Freelancers are responsible for knowing how they need to use the tool in order to get paid.

Alan:
The important thing right now is for you to learn how to use Upwork properly.

If you think this client is a sincere person who really does want to do the right thing, then it would be perfectly acceptable for you to provide information to him about how to officially hire you.

But getting paid is not the main goal right now. Learning how to use the tool is the main goal.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alan,

I checked and it seems that you don't have a contract. It's important to note that you should never start working without an active contract, which would show on your My Jobs page. Your client needs to send you an offer first. 

There are two types of contracts, Fixed-Price and Hourly. You can check the difference between them in this help article.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you for replying so quickly Aleksandar. I understand now.  Your response is much appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am new to this site and undertook my first job which I completed and the client was happy with. I kept a record of hours worked on the project."

It is great that you are learning now about the mistakes that you made.

For example, as freelancers we do not "keep a record of the hours we work on the project."

Rather: We use the desktop time-tracker application to record our time automatically.

re: "I notice I was marked as the active candidacy"

You now know that being marked as an "active candidacy" means that you were not actually hired.

You can not get paid if you don't have a contract.

re: "but did not recieve any other formal notification on the work only emails and phone call."

You now know that this is now how things work here.

If you don't see a contract listed here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

...Then it means you were not actually hired.

re: "Would the client have had to deposit currency in the form of escrow?"

You now know that there is no escrow associated with hourly contracts.

Escrow if only associated with fixed-price contracts.

re: "I'm absolutely certain the client is not at fault on this"

I agree.

It is not a client's responsibility to know how Upwork works for freelancers.

Freelancers are responsible for knowing how they need to use the tool in order to get paid.

Alan:
The important thing right now is for you to learn how to use Upwork properly.

If you think this client is a sincere person who really does want to do the right thing, then it would be perfectly acceptable for you to provide information to him about how to officially hire you.

But getting paid is not the main goal right now. Learning how to use the tool is the main goal.

Hi Preston H

Thank you so much for your time in replying to my question. It is very  appreciated and clears things up for me.

I am most grateful

A

Alan: I wish you well.
If the client logs into Upwork and looks at his job posting screen, he will see your name and photo, and next to it is a "Hire" button.

If the client clicks the "Hire" button, then he will be able to hire you and pay you.

I know this situation seems a bit awkward and confusing right now. But the truth of the matter is that this happens frequently when a first-time client wants to hire a first-time freelancer. If either side has had experience, then we don't see this.

Thank you Preston H. This has really cleared things up for me. Very precise and to the point about the "Hire" button situation. Once again many thanks for your advice and good wishes. Very much appreciated

Alan

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jun 25
Crafting Your Compelling Story
Talent Toolbox English
Featured Topics
Learning Paths