Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to upwork- no bank account.

Highlighted
Rajeswari V Member Since: Jun 24, 2017
1 of 5

Hi 

I am a new freelancer. I live in US but i dont have a bank account (cannot get an account as i am in dependant visa). In my profile (Billing Methods) I just verified a paypal account (which is linked to my husband's US bank account). Will this paypal linking work out without any issues if i get any projects further? Or should i go for any Payoneer option?

And my last question is, I am asked to verify a US bank account if i try to submit a proposal for US clients. What should be done in this case? Can i submit my husband's bank account that is already linked to paypal? I think that will not help. So is there any other way for this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

@Rajeswari V wrote:

Hi 

I am a new freelancer. I live in US but i dont have a bank account (cannot get an account as i am in dependant visa).

Unfortunately this means that you may not actually work on Upwork at all.

See eligibility to join Upwork - especially:

If you are living in the U.S., you need to be either a permanent resident or a citizen to work as a freelancer on Upwork. Most other visa holders, including B-1, B-2, F-1, J-1, H-1, H1-B, H-4, or L-2 visas, are not eligible to work on Upwork.

Highlighted
Rajeswari V Member Since: Jun 24, 2017
3 of 5

Thank you for your reply. Its so unfortunate that we are not even allowed to work in a freelancing site. 

Anyway, getting out of Upwork. Thanks.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Rajeswari,

Please make sure you have the right visa type to work while residing in the US and proceed with verifying a US bank account you own yourself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 5

are you allowed to work in the US?