🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to upwork
Page options
anjnagarg50
Community Member

New to upwork

As i am new to upwork so how can i make my profile in rising talent and how can i get jobs on upwork.

5 REPLIES 5
allpurposewriter
Community Member

First of all, raise your rates.

Look around at other profiles and get an idea what the going rate is for your skill set.

You can also upgrade your membership -- $10 a month. This gets you a paltry 10 extra connects per month. (Pretty lame.) But it allows you to look at what the low, average and high bids are for each job. That might be helpful for a while.

I'm just guessing; I don't know much about what you do (and that's a huge understatment). However, just as a wild guess, I would say your skill set is worth $50 to $100 an hour or something like that.

That really is a wild guess, so don't pay attention if I'm way off. But I am pretty sure that the hourly rate you listed for yourself is way below minimum wage in the United States. If you put that low an hourly rate on your profile people might take it as a lack of confidence.

I raised my rates a long while ago -- and it was an unnerving thing to do. In the end, however, it hasn't scared off too many clients and I've been busy enough not to worry about it. And I can always cut someone a break when I want to.

Anthony H wrote:

That really is a wild guess, so don't pay attention if I'm way off. But I am pretty sure that the hourly rate you listed for yourself is way below minimum wage in the United States. If you put that low an hourly rate on your profile people might take it as a lack of confidence.

She does not live in the US. Freelancers in her part of the world usually charge less than the minimum wage in the US. 

cooper-shaw
Community Member

Hi Anjna,

I began on Upwork late last year and started with smaller fixed-price jobs that I knew I could complete well. Once you receive your first job and complete it to a high standard it all gets easier from there. (Just make sure that the client has paid money into escrow before beginning work - I learned this the hard way!)

I found that as long as I was active on Upwork, was patient towards clients and completed the job to a high standard, I got Rising Talent without doing very much differently.

Hope this helps and good luck!

- Cooper.

Hey Bro,

I have my clients in different countries. Can I ask them to order me on Upwork to rank my profile? 

Can I use my Fiverr profile link in the proposals to get the trust of clients on Upwork?

Actually, I am new here but I have been working on Fiverr from last 4 years and have 300+ reviews over there.

I need your expert views.

Best Wishes,

Mohsin

charl-niche
Community Member

Welcome to Upwork. Try not to focus too much on your status initially. Your main aim is to land that first job. Do it and do it well. That will get you going. Then get some more. You might have to take on a few easier jobs that don’t pay great just to get the ball rolling. Please your clients. WOW them! From there, you will have a solid base and hopefully a few positive comments. This will give prospective clients greater confidence in your abilities. The other important thing is to tailor your application and have some relevant examples to provide prospective clients. It will not happen overnight but if you get the basics right and you have the skills and dedication you will find decent projects. Once you get going, the Upwork status will follow organically.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths