🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New to upwork
Page options
jamaro_walker
Community Member

New to upwork

Hi I am new to upwork. Is it possible fro someone to review my profile and make suggestions on how it can be improved?

I studied Chemistry and Physics at the university level and was employed for three years as a high school teacher of Chemistry and Physics. I was also employed as a Laboratory Technician at a bauxite company where I did chemical analysis.

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jamaro W wrote:

Hi I am new to upwork. Is it possible fro someone to review my profile and make suggestions on how it can be improved?

I studied Chemistry and Physics at the university level and was employed for three years as a high school teacher of Chemistry and Physics. I was also employed as a Laboratory Technician at a bauxite company where I did chemical analysis.

Your profile does not tell me what skills you actually offer. I have no idea what jobs you would apply to or if those exist on the platform. 

alexis-arinze
Community Member

Jamaro W wrote:

I'm not too sure about what type of chemistry/physics job you can get on Upwork. You could type in "Chemistry" in search and see what pops up though. However, there are plenty of clients that need help with editing and proofreading academic papers. You could start with that and add in your knowledge of Chemistry/Physics as an after thought. 

Alexis A wrote:

Jamaro W wrote:

I'm not too sure about what type of chemistry/physics job you can get on Upwork. You could type in "Chemistry" in search and see what pops up though. However, there are plenty of clients that need help with editing and proofreading academic papers. You could start with that and add in your knowledge of Chemistry/Physics as an after thought. 

Worthwhile advice if and only if Jamaro has training and expertise as an editor and/or proofreader for academic papers. Editing and proofreading are distinct skill sets requiring experience and training. Preparing academic papers is a niche that requires specialized expertise.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

As Martina said, you need to identify specific services you offer that clients need and will pay for. Editing and proofreading are strong categories here but very competitive. Most people I know who are earning good money have much more experience than just doing a good job on the documents they produced as part of other work. That said, it could be a worthwhile area to explore, depending on your interest and your preparation.

Something else you might consider is leveraging your experience preparing lesson plans to offer support in designing training courses and/or curriculum.

The most important thing is to make it clear to clients what you can do to help them.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths