🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Newbie Hoping for Assistance Closing a Jo...
Page options
033946ae
Community Member

Newbie Hoping for Assistance Closing a Job and Invoicing Client

Greetings, in the first 24 hours that I made my profile I got a small graphics job. We agreed upon an hourly rate and a not-to-exceed amount of hours. The job started at the end of one week and went into the next. The client was very happy with the work (judging from our Zoom calls and his correspondence).

I believe I made a wrong assumption that I'd simply make an invoice at the end of the job, as I do outside of Upwork and have done for decades. Early in week #2 I discovered the work logs and filled in the total hours across each of the weeks I'd been doing the work (5.5 total).

The job ends. I knew the client was busy giving the presentation that I'd just created for him. After a bit of poking around I found (perhaps incorrectly) that I was supposed to close the contract, which I did. I emailed the client asking that he checked to see I'd done it correctly and to guide me through the process of getting paid (not his first gig).

Fast forward more than a week, I've heard nothing from the client. When I log in and see my contract, only half the hours are on there. Further, I am wondering if I've been ghosted, as the client's avatar photo is no longer there.

1) can you help me learn to invoice, log hours and close contracts correctly; 2) have I been burned by the client?

Kindly,

Thom**Edited for community guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "1) can you help me learn to invoice, log hours and close contracts correctly"

Just log your time correctly.

I have finished over 200 jobs on Upwork. I have never invoiced anybody.

re: "2) have I been burned by the client?"

You were not burned by the client.

You were not ghosted by the client.

The client has done nothing wrong.

As the freelancer, you use Upwork correctly.

Don't worry about this!

Now you have learned how to log your time properly.

Just consider this a learning experience.

Don't send any more notes to the client. Don't try to get paid for the remaining hours. You'll do it right next time.

Thank you so much. What a great reply. Sometime after I typed this query I
received an email notifying me I’d been paid.

Sooo, I guess it’s all figured out and I just needed to be patient. You
nailed it.

Thanks again,
Thom
JoanneP

Hi Thom,

For hourly contracts, the hours you logged are automatically invoiced to your client if you logged your hours correctly using the Upwork Time Tracker App. The following help articles provide detailed information about getting paid for hourly contracts:

Get Paid for Hourly Contracts

Hourly Protection

As for ending the contract, it is always best to have the client end it. This way, you can ensure that you will receive feedback. In the meantime, you may give your client time to respond back to you about the hours that were not logged. They have the option to send you a bonus. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths