🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Newbie Questions re Time/Rate
Page options
maryrossi
Community Member

Newbie Questions re Time/Rate

Hi. I have submitted 14 proposals since I joined Upwork 2 weeks ago. I have 30 years' professional writing experience, a good profile with portfolio (I think) but I have not had one interview.

I would really appreciate some feedback on how long this can take - is this somewhat normal or should I reconsider how I'm going about things?

Also, I am at 'expert' level with a rate of $65/hour - is that a good idea without 'Upwork Credibility' or should I lower it for awhile?

Thank you so much for considering my situation!

18 REPLIES 18
prestonhunter
Community Member

Well, you're not "on the playing field." You're not "on the board."

Because you have zero Upwork work history.

That can hurt in your attempts to get hired.

It really helps to show some Upwork history.

One thing many new freelancers to is work on some FIXED-PRICE contracts first.

Because those do not display an hourly rate.

You can effectively lower your rate as much as you want with a fixed-price contract, without having the job be associated with a low hourly rate. Because only the total dollar amount will appear.

Thanks Preston. Don't I still compete with established Upwork pros that way though?

re: "Don't I still compete with established Upwork pros that way though?"

This is an idea for getting some Upwork history while being more flexible about who you are competing with. It is possible for you to target a wider range of potential clients, if you have the flexibility to work for clients in more price ranges. You might work for a client who would not normally pay $65 per hour, but would be willing to pay $50 for "Project X."

Maybe "Project X" takes you two hours to do. Maybe that means you will technically be working for less than your hourly rate. But no one will know what. Because the only thing that will show on your work history is the name of the contract and the total dollar amount: $50.00.

So that does not present a picture of a freelancer asking for $65/hour, but actually working for $25/hour.

I think that's an awesome response and I'll do it. Thank you! **A kazillion kudos**

By the way, I really enjoyed the video on your profile - well done!

Preston, I may have sent this message successfully already but since I'm not sure, I'm reiterating ...

I followed many of your suggestions, including more hours for a flat rate on a job that reflects my rate, and cutting my cover letter, beginning with what I can do for them. I got an invite and a hire lasts night! Thank you again for all of your assistance.

@Mary R wrote:

Preston, I may have sent this message successfully already but since I'm not sure, I'm reiterating ...

I followed many of your suggestions, including more hours for a flat rate on a job that reflects my rate, and cutting my cover letter, beginning with what I can do for them. I got an invite and a hire lasts night! Thank you again for all of your assistance.

Just make sure you have accepted an offer, and see a job in your "my jobs" tab. I can't see a job as work in progress on your profile. 

Thanks Martina,

I did accept the job and see it in my jobs list this morning. When you say you didn't see it as active, did you mean the hourly logging with the Upwork app? I only installed it this morning, so now it's showing.

Question please, if you have another minute. Is there any reason to use the app when I'm doing the extra hours I promised him but will not bill him for on this Job?

@Mary R wrote:

Thanks Martina,

I did accept the job and see it in my jobs list this morning. When you say you didn't see it as active, did you mean the hourly logging with the Upwork app? I only installed it this morning, so now it's showing.

Question please, if you have another minute. Is there any reason to use the app when I'm doing the extra hours I promised him but will not bill him for on this Job?

Then you have a job, congratulations! I'm not really sure myself when it will show up on your profile as "work in progress", most likely only after payment. 

I'm afraid I can't help much regarding the app, I usually only do fixed price jobs, but if you agreed on a certain number of hours, I would only use the time tracker for those. 

Thanks very much.

colettelewis
Community Member

Mary, I think you should stick to your rates, and do not reduce too much with your first client. It takes a while to get your foot in the door on Upwork, but I am sure you will succeed, so keep bidding, but not randomly, only on the jobs you really want and really know you can do 

The first three lines of your profile and proposal are critical. So put your education lower down in your profile and delete things such as "just joined Upwork" and "decades". Your portfolio shows your professionalism, so play on that and offer those skills in the first paragraph. 

If you have a preferred field, concentrate on that and create a niche. You're up against thousands of experienced writers on Upwork, so you have to stand out. 

Nichola, you took the time to look at my profile! Thank you so much. Your feedback on how the portfolio comes across is also super helpful. I'll follow your advice.

With yours and all of the other helpful advice, I'll be working in no time and able to afford that professional headshot Lila suggests! Thanks so much everyone.

Nichola,

I may have sent this message to you successfully already but since I'm not sure, I'm reiterating ...

I followed many of your suggestions, including more hours for a flat rate on a job that reflects my rate, and cutting my cover letter, beginning with what I can do for them. Your feedback on my portfolio gave my confidence at freelancing a huge boost ... I got an invite and a hire lasts night! Thank you again for all of your assistance.

mystudiomke
Community Member

Hi Mary,

Agreed with having more upwork history on your profile helps a lot. Especially from having the client feedback that prospective clients can view. I personally don’t think you should lower your rate. But I think it’s a good idea to provide a fixed price estimate even when its setup for hourly. 

Otherwise I think your profile is great! It takes time to find the right clients, be patient. The only item I would recommend for a stellar profile is a professional headshot. 

Hope that helps,

Lila

Lila,

I may have sent this message to you successfully already but since I'm not sure, I'm reiterating ...

I followed many of your suggestions, including sticking to my rate but offering a flat rate for more time, and cutting my cover letter because I trusted my profile after the feedback I'd gotten from you and another freelancer. I got an invite and a hire lasts night!

Now I'm closer to being able to get a professional headshot 🙂 Thank you again for all of your assistance.

raimann-sophie
Community Member

Hi Mary, 

I’m new on Upwork myself, but I’ve been lucky with jobs from the first day. I can’t promise you anything, but here some ideas that might help: 

1. Go to your profile settings -> Categories.

Make sure you use all Categories possible (I think 10 in total) so Clients can find YOU & your skills.

2. On Upwork you have the possibility to do tests and show the results on your profile.

Don’t be afraid - even if you fail at some tests, you can hide them from your profile and try again after some time... On the internet, everybody could claim they have XX years of experience, those tests are a kind of “confirmation”, a client will feel like they have some kind of proof. Plus they also link those tests to your skills.  Most clients on up work can’t effort the time to look at your portfolio, tests show fast facts! 

3. Some clients only use their smartphones.

Make sure you explain within the first 2 sentences on your profile what you can offer them.

4. Clients don’t care about you, they only care what you can do for them. 

5. Write unique proposals, no copy & paste. 

This is the internet, “the rules” aren't like applying to a traditional job in an office. Don't be too formal. Make it short, concrete. Send a short (!) sample of a similar job you've done. (Short sample =  not more than 10 min. of your work!) 

I think your price and the expert level is fine! For the beginning, you can still do some lower fixed-price jobs to gain experience & feedback! And I’d recommend you to research on Google & YouTube. There is a lot of good information out there!

Good luck 🙂 

Sophie, your input is excellent and so very appreciated. I can hardly believe the time so many freelancers took to hear my plea and come to help!

I am so thankful to you all. I look forward to being able to do the same for others ... may that time come sooner than later Smiley Happy

Sophie,

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. You're fortunate to have such a defined niche and it's good to see your quick success.

.Your statement that clients only care about what you can do for them was a 'second' to what Preston had said earlier, and a wake-up call for me to bring all of my experience with me into Upwork. So I wrote a very concise cover letter - the second sentence of which told the client exactly what I could do for him.

I also got a huge boost of confidence in stepping out on Upwork, and lo and behold I got an invite and a hire lasts night! Thank you again for all of your assistance.

maryrossi
Community Member

This is a huge thank you to each of you wonderful people who helped me yesterday. 

I implemented many of your suggestions and last night had my first interview and hire -- at my rate, I'm just agreeing to putting in a bit more time... and, if this one is successful, I'll have ongoing work with the client.

My cover letter was concise and spoke to the need right off -- you were all awesome to help me like that, thank you! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths