🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Newbie Struggling to Get First Clients
Page options
trailblazr
Community Member

Newbie Struggling to Get First Clients

Hi Martina, thanks for helping people with their profiles!

I just joined Upwork and have been trying hard to improve my profile and attract clients. I just got my first customer and am waiting 14 days for the review to process. I'm also in contention for a few jobs.

BUT... I've applied for over 70 jobs. Other than having more projects and a better JSS, can you see any way I can improve my profile? (and how can I help you?)

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Derek L wrote:

I just joined Upwork and have been trying hard to improve my profile and attract clients. I just got my first customer and am waiting 14 days for the review to process. I'm also in contention for a few jobs.

BUT... I've applied for over 70 jobs. Other than having more projects and a better JSS, can you see any way I can improve my profile? (and how can I help you?)

Your profile is not optimized. Move the "Note" to the end, and also, remove the quoted testimonials. You can't verify them so they are just claims that people said something about you. Also, they don't really help clients understand what you will do for them; they just verify you made someone else happy. 

Instead, send actual testimonial requests to those clients/colleagues and they will appear as real, verified testimonials on your profile. 

The first two lines are the most important and yours has some note about scoping work. That's a waste. The rest isn't really that bad, but most clients won't bother to read it because you've bogged down the intro with that note and unverifiable testimonials. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
a_lipsey
Community Member

Derek L wrote:

Your profile is not optimized. Move the "Note" to the end, and also, remove the quoted testimonials. You can't verify them so they are just claims that people said something about you. Also, they don't really help clients understand what you will do for them; they just verify you made someone else happy. 

Instead, send actual testimonial requests to those clients/colleagues and they will appear as real, verified testimonials on your profile. 

The first two lines are the most important and yours has some note about scoping work. That's a waste. The rest isn't really that bad, but most clients won't bother to read it because you've bogged down the intro with that note and unverifiable testimonials. 

Thanks for the great advice Amanda!

Hi Amanda,
If you get few of your time please be kind to review my profile also and provide me some feedback, im struggling to get my first step here.

Thank you,
Naveen

I have tried hard but couldn't get my first order. Please help me to sort out my problem

Hi, I am new here, I am a developer I recently graduated from Computer Science University,  I sent a lot of request to apply to jobs but anyone accepted could you give me advice on my profile?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths