🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Newbie getting a bit frustrated
Page options
lenakov
Community Member

Newbie getting a bit frustrated

Hi everyone. I am a newbie here on Upwork and since I decided to focus on getting my first job I wanted to ask more experienced members for a piece of advice. I have already read a lot about what it takes to get your first job - taking tests to show my expertise in my field, completing my profile, adding materials to my portfolio and so on.. While searching for jobs, I often find that even for entry level jobs it is required to have at least one hour worked on Upwork. I find it frustrating, because it has happened more than once that I read the job description, I see that I am a good fit for the position and then that red exclamation point next to ''Upwork hours'' makes me want to cry, because I have offline experience, but can't apply for any jobs here..

My question is, do you recommend applying for the job anyway, even if I don't meet all the qualifications? And if not, what should I do? 

Thanks in advance,

Milena

6 REPLIES 6
cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Milena,

If you feel that you are capable of doing the task, you may submit your proposal even though you don't meet this qualification. Thank you and good luck!

Untitled
jojomo
Community Member

Hi Milena,

I just checked out your upwork profile and if I may give you some advice this is what I would suggest; You need to spend a little more time sprucing up your profile. You should include more than a couple sentences in your overview and you definitely need to take some more tests to show off your skills. You should also include pieces that you've worked on in the portfolio section of your profile (you can also include a link or attach files of relevant work when applying for a job).

Your profile is extremely important as a newbie and the work you put into it will show to prospective clients! I also suggest adding a video to your profile, something catchy that will entice prospective clients. Clients can get a very good idea of the type of person you are by looking at your profile. Don't be afraid to sell yourself! As a newbie, you will need to be VERY persistent! I recommend trying to apply to small jobs first (2-3 should do the trick with 5 star feedbacks) -- you want to do this just to get some feedback in there... Don't give up.... once you get that first succesful job, it'll get easier and easier! 

Good luck!

I absolutely agree with Joelle.  Initially, the client only sees the first two or three lines of your proposal.  That's where you show your skills.  Saying that you are a student is off-putting as it looks like you're just trying to earn some extra money.  That may be true but a client wants to think that you will devote your time and energy and skills to their project.

The same thing is true of proposals.  Use the first two or three lines to say how your abilities can solve their problem.

Removing the 'I'm a student'' part in 3... 2... 1... 

Now, on a more serious note, thank you for responding and not just responding to the original question but also taking your time to take a look at my profile and give me suggestions, I really appreciate it.

lenakov
Community Member

Hi Joëlle!  I appreciate your advice, especially the part about adding a catchy video, I haven't thought of doing that.

I know that my profile isn't very appealing at the moment. Completing my profile is something I have been putting of, because I have experience in different fields and I'm still in the proccess of figuring out how to make it into something cohesive. But that's another topic.. Smiley Very Happy 

So, when I fill in the blanks in my profile, do you recommend applying for jobs that require previous experience on Upwork? My problem for the moment isn't the fact that I'm not getting interviews or getting hired, it's the fact that I can't even send proposals, beacause all of the jobs I've found so far require a rising talent status, 80% or 90% JSS and 1 or more hours on Upwork. It's a dead end,  I can't earn the Rising Talent status or get at least 80% JSS if I don't get any jobs and I can't get jobs because I don't have RT nor JSS. 

Hi Milena! If you allow me, I may provide a couple of ideas that might be useful to you.

While you may be interested in nailing a long term contract at your current rate, I would say, aiming for a couple of short fix price project may give you the chance to earn 5 star feedback, that will definitely look good in your profile.

If you have already applied for a long term project and the client responds, you may suggest to be provided the chance to complete a paid task to prove your ability and skills.

About your intro, providing a quick insight on how you earned/develped those various skill-sets would be helpful for the client to decide if you are fit for the job. Also, since your are introducing yourself as a VA, taking tests on MS Office, Zendesk, email and/or social media management, and any other related test to this field will add up value to your profile.

I hope you may find anything useful in my "brief" contribution.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths