🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Newbie here and I have no idea how I'm su...
Page options
dkpeeples
Community Member

Newbie here and I have no idea how I'm supposed to get paid...

So I got my first job writing a 500 word article for a flat $20 fee. Since this was my first gig here, I wasn't sure how it all worked. So I wrote the article in about 2 hours, and messaged him the article. And now, of course, he is ignoring my messages. How does this work? There is nothing explaining the proper procedure of how I am supposed to protect myself to make sure I get paid. I remember reading something about an escrow account where the money is held but how does that work? Luckily, this was my first job so if I get screwed out of the money, it's not a big loss. But I just would like to know how we are supposed to get paid. Any info helps, thank you!!

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

@Desiree P wrote:

So I got my first job writing a 500 word article for a flat $20 fee.

Were you properly hired? On your "My Jobs" page, is there a contract?

Is it hourly or fixed rate?

Payment.jpg

Additionally, read all of this

No, so I'll just assumed I'm screwed out of being paid. Thank you for your help. Thank goodness it wasn't a big payment.... lol

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Desiree, 

I checked your account and do not see any contract setup on your account yet. In the future, only start doing work for the client once the client has sent you an offer, you have accepted it, it's showing on your My jobs page, and the client's payment method is verified. 

Since you are new here, it would be best if you can read up on these freelancer resources our team has compiled to help you get started on your freelancing career on Upwork. Please also read up on the Safety first! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable job for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
dkpeeples
Community Member

Thank you very much, I appreciate your response.

@Desiree P wrote:

Thank you very much, I appreciate your response.

Desiree,

There are one or two things you can do (apart from reading the help pagesSmiley Wink)

1) If you are not paid for the work, you can inform this person that if you see your article on the web, you will ask for a take down - a DMCA. Until you have been paid for it, you own that work. 

2) You can use it as a portfolio piece. 

3) You can sell it to someone else. 

I hope the next one works out for you. 

Thank you Nichola! That is very helpful to know, I appreciate your input. Thank you so much.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths