🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Newbie with privacy question
Page options
antiapril
Community Member

Newbie with privacy question

This is my first job, and I have been asked for my email address or phone number. While I did not provide my number, I did provide an alternate email address. Client **Edited for community guidelines**. Please advise. If this is in error, I can update the client. If there is something more I should know, please advise.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork has no restrictions against providing email address, phone number to clients.

You simply can't include such contact information on your profile page.

It isn't required. It isn't prohibited. It is up to you as a freelancer to decide what to do about this.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork has no restrictions against providing email address, phone number to clients.

You simply can't include such contact information on your profile page.

It isn't required. It isn't prohibited. It is up to you as a freelancer to decide what to do about this.

petra_r
Community Member

Giving a client an email address is OK, personally I only give my phone number out in exceptional circumstances, and when I know a client well.

You are hired, you do have a contract on your "My Jobs" page, right?

Thanks!  In my rush to find a job, I'm sure I glossed over some of the vast informational content provided, and I just wanted to make sure this was some cause for suspicion.

I was asked for a copy of my degree and I declined.  Is this something that is typical?

I lost the job, but did not feel comfortable passing out my degree to strangers. 

Thank you!

Hi Teri, 

Asking for your degree is not typical since this information is available on the Education section of your profile. If you don't feel comfortable providing this information (and it's not available on your profile), you may politely decline the request.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you so much for clarifying this! I declined to provide my degree,
but gave him the option to call the universities, and provided their phone
numbers.

Thank you again for the support!
Teri Pastore ~

rubenshavoc
Community Member

Upwork will always warn you to be careful to not take the contract out of Upwork, that's why the message will pop when you type your e-mail, but you may give your contact if that's required for your job. 

Thanks for the response. I did see the pop-up, of course, and I figured I would be alerted to some violation were that the case. I just wanted to see what the forum thought about such cases. I appreciate all the help!

Thanks for the answer!!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths