🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Newbie
Page options
70c661f6
Community Member

Hi! 

Im just wondering is it me or does there seem to be a lot of scams on this platform? Wondering if I should continue on this platform or if its a waste of my time.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Yes, there are a lot of scams here, but they say they are working on getting rid of them. Up to you if you think it's worth waiting for that to happen. Just be aware of the scams and be ready to wade though tons of them to find real jobs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Yes, there are a lot of scams here, but they say they are working on getting rid of them. Up to you if you think it's worth waiting for that to happen. Just be aware of the scams and be ready to wade though tons of them to find real jobs.

4c052edd
Community Member

Thank You Peter. I am a newbie myself and I believe I'm negotiating with a scammer right now. All the freelance jobs are so tempting yet quite sad the majority are scam.

I think I can easily identify one when they ask me to deposit a fee etc right at that moment. 

dbe66a0b
Community Member

Am new too and am Abit scared so many scammers nothing seems genuine

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I can't even begin to imagine starting on upwork now. When I did, there was the occasional sketchy job post, but that one stood out. 

Now it's the other way around. 90% of my job feed is scams. It must be really hard for newbies to recognize them, or even when they recognize them, understand why this is happening. 

It's not reasonable to have to assume that most of the jobs are fake. But that's the reality of it now. 

roberty1y
Community Member

We can have a competition, "Spot the first real job of the day", like looking out for the first cuckoo.

db1d9a64
Community Member

Hi Peter, am a newbie on Upwork and my profile is not structured. Is there a template I can follow my energy is burning out, am sure you know that feeling after a long hard work on something, and yet the review is not encouraging, pls help. 

68a61e63
Community Member

I am new here hoping to get my first gig. I can smell scams from far away by their too good to resist perks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths