🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Newbies questions
Page options
fd5fbe3f
Community Member

Newbies questions

Hi! I'm new to freelance. I've just registered in upwork. So i have a lot of questions and don't even expect that will win proposal soon. It is difficult for me to objectively estimate my portfolio. I would like to hear someone else's opinion about it. And maybe someone will give tips on how to start earning faster
4 REPLIES 4
robin_hyman
Community Member

What are your questions?

As for your profile, a few recommendations:

* Remove "hi"

* Change some of your paragraphs so they don't all start with "I"

* Review Top Rated freelancer profiles in your field and compare with yours.  Remember not to copy as you will be suspended

* The first two lines in your profile are what shows up in search so make sure they stick out

* Customize every proposal

JoanneP

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Proposal: 

In summary, I recommend you build your proposal with content blocks you can pick-and-chose as a foundation for the response.

I use what are called the WH questions.  Who, what, when, why, how.

WHO
Build a paragraph that introduces yourself in 40 words or less.

WHAT
Build another paragraph that summarizes your services.  Same as above.  40 words or less

HOW
Not alway used, but in essence, describe your business and creative processes for doing the work.  "Let the client see how you will do it".

Then proof these paragraph building blocks to the nth degree.  Make sure they are perfect.

- - -

Then with those three components, you can add in a couple customized paragraphs. 

- I find it particularly valuable to pick out something the prospective client references in their paragraph and then respond to this with definitive statements.  In your response, start with something like "In your job summary, you indicated... ZYX. "
The responses can be then be along the lines of....
- "My approach to this:
- "This engages my skill sets in these ways"
- "I find this unique and compelling as a work requirement.  Here's why"
- "My experience indicates"

Don't use those exact words -- they are provided so you conceptually have choices for how you might

- - -

A good ending to the application letter is to suggest a next step.  I consistently suggest a video conference call to introduce myself.  Get yourself out of the email communication-only box.  Go visual.  Upwork has a video conference facility that is fine to get started.

There is an article in the Coffee Break section where you can find a Tip of the Week that discusses this more.

John

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Hi, Kristina. I agree with Robin, you need to reorganize your profile. Focus on what you do: the types of work and the tools you use. Don't waste words or space mentioning things like attention to detail or loving your work. The first should go without saying and the second is likely true for all professional FLs.

On UW, a proposal is mainly the cover letter. Be concise. The client only sees the first couple of lines unless they click it open, so don't waste that valuable real estate introducing yourself. It can feel strange not to, but you need to hook them and get them to open your proposal and then look at your profile. So, lead with what you can do for them to solve the immediate need indicated in the job post.

Your category is very competitive here, so you need to be patient and persistent. Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths