🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: No Contract
Page options
lindsey_moss
Community Member

No Contract

Hi, I am very new to UpWork and got my first job last week. However, I did not understand how the contracts work and that there was as downloadable app that I needed to work through. My client never sent me a contract, just uploaded the file with his resume to edit into our messaging stream and told me what he needed. We agreed it would take about one hour of work to finish. I completed the work, but not through the app, just uploaded the file back to the messaging app. I have not heard from the client since uploading the file, not even an acknowledgement of receipt, and it appears he has not been online in some time. Am I just out of luck on this one since there technically was no contract in place, or do I have some recourse for the work I completed? The work was accomplished within the agreed upon hour.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Without a contract offered by the client and accepted by you, you're out of luck.  Please learn how Upwork actually works before you make an even worse mistake.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Without a contract offered by the client and accepted by you, you're out of luck.  Please learn how Upwork actually works before you make an even worse mistake.

Also, be sure to download the Time Tracker right now so you'll be ready the next time.

You are right, I should have made sure I was knowledgable about the process before diving in. I will be wiser in the future. I appreciate you answering my question, Mary. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lindsey, 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

It would also be best to read up on this help article to know how you can be payment protected on Upwork. You will need to mee the requirements listed here, so in case of an issue with your client, you can stay payment protected. 

I hope this will help you identify red flags in the future. t

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you, Avery. I will definitely use these resources! 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Lots of people learn by doing.
You won't get paid for this project. But that's okay!

You spent less time working on this than you would have spent reading a bunch of help docs. You came out ahead.

And because you actually experienced something firsthand rather then simply reading about it, you will never forget what you learned about the importance of having a contract in place.

Thank you, Preston, that is a very positive way of looking at this experience. I appreciate your kindness!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths