🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » No Rating! Can’t do Proposals even for lesser...
Page options
brianashimself
Community Member

No Rating! Can’t do Proposals even for lesser posts, because they want too many requirements!

To be fair, I’ve only been here a couple days. But I see a large problem looming ahead. 🤔

If I’m lucky enough to see a new post (ie “1 minute ago”) before 10 others have already submitted, I still never meet the qualifications because I’m new. ☹️

How will we get a chance, when every Poster selects 90% Review or more things?

I applied anyway for a while, but I now I’m stopping before UpWork’s algorythm decides to boot me altogther.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aleksandrhovh
Community Member

Honestly, the only thing you can do is keep submitting proposals and try to get noticed to get some reviews (or long-term clients). But a few tips:

1. If you haven't already, take a couple tests on Upwork in your area of expertise. If you're just starting out, this would lend additional credibility to your profile beyond what you already have. I dunno if there are any tests that would apply to your area, though.

2. Consider how you're writing your cover letters. Upwork calls call them that, but they aren't really "official." Generally, as people, we're all more inclined to respond if we see a friendly smile and a thoughtful message that doesn't read like a generic pitch (not at all implying this is the approach you've been taking). That's not to suggest you shouldn't mention anything about yourself or your experience (you should), but that shouldn't be the main emphasis. (Though this does depend on your field. If you work with software, for example, it's worth mentioning some details and experience.) Stick to a warm intro (not too warm, lol), a couple body sentences on what you can do for the client, and then a friendly conclusion. 

One more note: be sure to check the client's history from the job post if they didn't sign/post their name anywhere. Sometimes, other freelancers refer to clients by name in their reviews, so that can help you personalize your proposal intro a bit more.

And if none of that works, experiment. This article offers some good insight into submitting proposals on the platform.

Not gonna deny that it's hard to compete with so many others, but it's not impossible either. You just have to find what works for you (sounds obvious, but it's true). Best of luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aleksandrhovh
Community Member

Honestly, the only thing you can do is keep submitting proposals and try to get noticed to get some reviews (or long-term clients). But a few tips:

1. If you haven't already, take a couple tests on Upwork in your area of expertise. If you're just starting out, this would lend additional credibility to your profile beyond what you already have. I dunno if there are any tests that would apply to your area, though.

2. Consider how you're writing your cover letters. Upwork calls call them that, but they aren't really "official." Generally, as people, we're all more inclined to respond if we see a friendly smile and a thoughtful message that doesn't read like a generic pitch (not at all implying this is the approach you've been taking). That's not to suggest you shouldn't mention anything about yourself or your experience (you should), but that shouldn't be the main emphasis. (Though this does depend on your field. If you work with software, for example, it's worth mentioning some details and experience.) Stick to a warm intro (not too warm, lol), a couple body sentences on what you can do for the client, and then a friendly conclusion. 

One more note: be sure to check the client's history from the job post if they didn't sign/post their name anywhere. Sometimes, other freelancers refer to clients by name in their reviews, so that can help you personalize your proposal intro a bit more.

And if none of that works, experiment. This article offers some good insight into submitting proposals on the platform.

Not gonna deny that it's hard to compete with so many others, but it's not impossible either. You just have to find what works for you (sounds obvious, but it's true). Best of luck!

I’m running into the same issues and I’m not sure about the tests because there doesn’t seem to be any for my area. I really need help.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Athlene, 

If none of the skills test available are related to your area, you may take certifications/test outside of Upwork and upload them to your Upwork profile once completed. 

I also wanted to share that even if the clients has noted that they require a freelancer with a Job Success Score, or a Rising Talent badge, you should still be able to send a proposal for these jobs, and the client will still receive your proposal. There are a lot of freelancers here in the Community who didn't meet the initial requirements of the client, who bid for the project, was awarded the contract, and completed the project successfully. 

I would highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs.

Hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths