cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ability to use my preferred name

Highlighted
Dana L Member Since: Mar 9, 2019
1 of 4

I'm transgender male to female, I've been on hormone therapy for 7 months. I look mostly female and your site is going to force me to use my old "deadname" to get work here. I can't use a preferred name... I have to use my given name. Not even for my first name. 

I plan on getting my name changed in the future, however I can't afford to do so yet because like many trans people I'm far from wealthy. So even though I scored in the top 10 percentile on your SEO assessment and have been doing SEO, SEM, web development and whatever else is needed for the last 20 years I can't get work here because your site isn't transgender friendly... 

Sorry I don't fit into your square mold... and hope you soon make your site more inclusive of all people. 

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 4

Hi Dana,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you.

I can see that a ticket was created for your profile name and it was escalated to the appropriate team to assist you further. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them directly on your ticket or send me a PM with more details. You can access your tickets on this Link, thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 4

Dana L wrote:

I'm transgender male to female, I've been on hormone therapy for 7 months. I look mostly female and your site is going to force me to use my old "deadname" to get work here. I can't use a preferred name... I have to use my given name. Not even for my first name. 

I plan on getting my name changed in the future, however I can't afford to do so yet because like many trans people I'm far from wealthy. So even though I scored in the top 10 percentile on your SEO assessment and have been doing SEO, SEM, web development and whatever else is needed for the last 20 years I can't get work here because your site isn't transgender friendly... 

Sorry I don't fit into your square mold... and hope you soon make your site more inclusive of all people. 

This has more to do with making sure legal names match up to banking info for getting paid and Uncle Sam, rather than round fitting into square or visa versa ... nothing to do with inclusiveness at all. There are many instances where Upwork is more than willing to make things work when someone has a circumstance that requires personalized help.

ETA: And as always, Douglas Michael states it better than I could.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 4

I am sorry to hear that you are running into obstacles. Upwork has a history of accommodating people who use different names from their birth names, whether those of us who use publication names or transgender freelancers (you can search the forum for corroboration). This is typically one of the easier and quicker adjustments Upwork offers. I hope you see a speedy resolution.