🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » No client feedback after so many submitted pr...
Page options
uppiesman
Community Member

No client feedback after so many submitted proposals (NEW TO UPWORK)

Hello Freelancers,
I am a new upwork user trying so hard to get a job offer or an interview at the very least but that has never happened.
I am an editor and a writer. I submit proposals only for jobs that match my skill set. My proposals always include: a greeting, a show of qualification and an assurance of quick job completion. I also include work samples related to that specific job and make sure I bid much much lower than the clients' budget.
I have done a thorough research on this platform, but it hasn't helped so much.
Could there be something wrong with my profile?
Could there be something I am doing wrong?
Please, I am open to suggestions.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Damilola!

A few recommendations based on your profile:

* Don't announce you are new to Upwork.  That screams novice.

* $5 an hour is not going to get you quality work or clients.  Perhaps start with $10/hour?

* Remove most of the exclaimation marks.  Again it screams you're young and inexperienced

* Try not to start every paragraph with "I"

Now a few comments about your proposals:

* Again with the "I's"....

* Experienced proofreader/editors don't charge $5/hour...

* We don't refer to Word, Excel and PowerPoint as "packages" but part of the Microsoft Suite

* Your proposals should focus on your experience (not just saying you are experienced) and what you bring to the table compared to thousands of other freelancers who can do the same job.  

* Anyone can make promises.  Show with actual client feedback and examples

* Remove the unnecessary language: thank you for reading my proposal, thank your for your time, etc. 

To compare, here is a snippit of my proposal in response to a job requesting a website copywriter in the health space:

I'm a marketing copywriter with 15+ years experience.  For over a year I've been freelancing for small to mid-sized companies helping with website copy (my speciality), sales emails, marketing materials and more.  Attached are relevant health-focused examples.  

(Insert information about my previous real world work)

Looking forward connecting and understanding your website copywriting needs better.

Best,

Robin

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jaybopp82
Community Member

You can only get feedback after you've completed a job.  It sounds like maybe you mean no job offers?  Getting a first job on the platform can take months and many job proposals.  Just hang in there, improve your profile and cover letter, and eventually you will find a good client willing to work with you.

Thank you Jason, I appreciate your help.

Dear Damilola,

Have you had some chance some work since it?...

I am facing this problem, as well: I have not got any feedback yet. I  have some opened submitted proposals. Can I count on an invitations to interview  8-10 days after proposal?

Hello Banki,

Welcome to Upwork!

Yes, I got my problem solved. It appears you have the same problem of getting interviews after so many submitted proposals. No worries, Banki!

It would help if you kept at it. Submit more proposals to jobs related to your skills. Consider adding a Portfolio containing previously completed jobs and increasing your hourly rate to $15/hr to get good clients.

Honestly, there's no specific period for an interview after submitting a proposal - that usually depends on the client. Some may set up an interview immediately, while others may wait for a little longer. Note that "a little longer" could be a week, sometimes a month.

So, Banki, you need to continue submitting proposals till you get an interview. Revise your "Overview" and "Cover Letter" to ensure you don't have any errors.

Tip on writing your cover letter: Ensure that you make the client know you meet all the job requirements, consider using bullet points for easy readability, and always use a professional greeting.

Cheers!

Thank you so much. Have a  nice day!

a_lipsey
Community Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of Upwork! (Only light sarcasm there)

If you make your profile public we may be able to give some direction. While forum posts aren't a total indication of skills and expertise, your formatting on your initial post wasn't what I'd normally see from an editor or writer. So perhaps make sure you are previewing the messages correctly? Also, even editors need to be edited when they are behaving as writers, so maybe have someone proof your standard proposal that you use to customize for each one? No one is too good to not need a proofreader. 

It takes time to get the first gig. It seems the current average is 1-2 months. Keep at it. 

Thanks for the warm welcome Amanda. I really do appreciate your response.

Dear Amanda,

I am facing Damilola's problem, as well: I have not got any feedback from cliens yet. I have some opened submitted proposals. Can I count on an invitations to interview 8-10 days after proposal? Thanks. Gabriella Bánki (Gabi)

In the meantime I have got the information for my questions from Danilola. Thanks for Danilola's helping.  If you have any aditional information to this, I would appriciate having it.

Have a nice day!

robin_hyman
Community Member

If we cannot access your profile or review your proposals, we cannot provide valuable advice.  Please set your profile to public and paste an example of a proposal you recently submitted. 

Okay. I will do that. Thank you.

You still did not make it public, so we can't give feedback. FYI. 

I just did Amanda. Thanks.

I just did Robin. Thanks.

SAMPLE PROPOSALS:
Dear Richa,
I understand you have a 1000 words article that needs to be more appealing to readers, needs the element of flow and above all, a great title. I feel I am the right editor for this job. I don’t condone errors in English articles as I am an experienced proofreader and editor. I am also very good at using packages such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. I am a very principled and disciplined editor. I will make sure your job is done with utmost care and you will not be disappointed by the quality I stand to offer. I also work with time so you can trust my quick response.
Dami

Hello,
Looking for a creative content writer for keyword research, your blogs and someone who understands SEO and keyword usage? Well, I am just the writer for you. I have written a number of blog posts on topics relating to food, beauty and all others (Please check through my work samples). I am a creative content writer with visible experience using packages such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. I am great at: S.E.O Writing, Writing Blog Articles, Web Content, Product Descriptions and Editing. I also offer services related to Landing Pages, Press Releases, White Pages and Newsletters. I am a very principled and disciplined writer. I work with time, so you can trust my quick response. I will go the extra mile to make appropriate and thorough research towards your article. I look forward to working for you. Thank you for taking your time to read through my job proposal.
Dami.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FIRST LINE CHANGES DEPENDING ON THE JOB POST BUT THE OTHER LINES ARE AUTOMATED.

Damilola!

A few recommendations based on your profile:

* Don't announce you are new to Upwork.  That screams novice.

* $5 an hour is not going to get you quality work or clients.  Perhaps start with $10/hour?

* Remove most of the exclaimation marks.  Again it screams you're young and inexperienced

* Try not to start every paragraph with "I"

Now a few comments about your proposals:

* Again with the "I's"....

* Experienced proofreader/editors don't charge $5/hour...

* We don't refer to Word, Excel and PowerPoint as "packages" but part of the Microsoft Suite

* Your proposals should focus on your experience (not just saying you are experienced) and what you bring to the table compared to thousands of other freelancers who can do the same job.  

* Anyone can make promises.  Show with actual client feedback and examples

* Remove the unnecessary language: thank you for reading my proposal, thank your for your time, etc. 

To compare, here is a snippit of my proposal in response to a job requesting a website copywriter in the health space:

I'm a marketing copywriter with 15+ years experience.  For over a year I've been freelancing for small to mid-sized companies helping with website copy (my speciality), sales emails, marketing materials and more.  Attached are relevant health-focused examples.  

(Insert information about my previous real world work)

Looking forward connecting and understanding your website copywriting needs better.

Best,

Robin

Thank you so much for these recommendations Robin. I will make all necessary adjustments to my overview and others. I really do appreciate this.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths