🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » No follow through from clients
Page options
caswell-eileen
Community Member

No follow through from clients

I am frustrated. I connectd with three clients interested in my services. I did a free task for one in excahnge for postive feedback on my profile. I never heard from this client again. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
mtngigi
Community Member

You do not receive feedback for doing free work. Feedback only happens when you've completed a job you were officially hired for. Nor do you get paid. Please do not do any more free work; it's best to understand how this site works before bidding or interacting with clients - there's plenty of help topics starting with these:

Getting Started:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Questionable Jobs:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

There are many of us who would like to see freelancers suspended for doing free work.

(NOT Eileen, of course, for whom I wish nothing but the best... But I wouldn't mind seeing other people who work for free get suspended.)

Providing free work in exchange for positive feedback is not Upwork's purpose. (And not actually possible.)

jcullinan
Community Member

@Eileen C wrote:

I am frustrated. I connectd with three clients interested in my services. I did a free task for one in excahnge for postive feedback on my profile. I never heard from this client again. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

Please report the client you did the free task for, and include any messages in which they promised you positive feedback - this is a gross violation of the Terms of Service and they should be removed. You can flag individual messages by hovering over the timestamp next to them, then clicking on the gear icon.

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.08.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.09.32 AM.png

If you communicated with the client off-platform, take screenshots and open a ticket through support.upwork.com.

As to finding real work - screen the posts you apply to very carefully. Write brief but engaging cover letters, and just keep applying. There are a lot of great clients on this platform, though sometimes they're hidden behind a lot of static. The links Virginia shared should be helpful as well.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths