🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: No offers to proposals - 90% JSS catch 22
Page options
dsmgdesign
Community Member

No offers to proposals - 90% JSS catch 22

Hello, Community, 

I'm a graphic designer and I just joined upwork a month and a half ago. I have submitted 16 proposals thus far. I have received only 1 reply from a client, but wasn't selected for the job, and 0 offers. I also noticed that 90% of clients have noted under their preffered qualifications that they want candidates with a 90% job success score..obviously, as everyone here knows I don't have a job success score since I haven't received any job offers. I'm bidding on these jobs anyway as meet all of the other qualifications. I have tons of experience working with other clients. I have tweaked my profile, and also tailor all of my cover letters to each client. Feeling a bit frustrated. What should I be doing differently, and how exactly do I win offers with the 90% JSS catch-22? 

Your feedback and insight is much appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

We were all in the same boat when we started.  In fact, there wasn't even a Rising Talent badge when I began.  You need to emphasize your experience and your expertise in your field off of the platform. 

The client initially only sees the first two or three lines of your profile and also of your proposal, so use that space wisely.

It definitely takes a while to get traction on here but it's worth it.

raina5
Community Member

I can only offer my viewpoint, so take it or leave it as you will. I decided to imagine if I were here on Upwork looking for a designer, then I clicked on your profile to see how it struck me. A couple of things; i wonder if leading with the fact that you are new to the platform but not new to the industry would be helpful, along with a sentence about how you can be of service, rather than launching directly into your standing and capabilities. A more human touch maybe ~ Rather than aiming to impress, aiming to connect. Then, rather than a link to your portfolio, having your actual portfolio pieces uploaded into the site, to add that visual impact that will immediately draw the eye and attention, and hopefully grab the viewer to want to hire you to do that for them. You're obviously talented and experienced, it just has to be obvious to the potential client who will likely skim through many profiles. Just my thoughts~ take or leave, lol, best of luck to you, and yes it does take a while to gain some traction no matter what.

Kate, take a look at my profile (as far as the written summary) and let me know what you think. As for the portfolio, I will be following your advice and adding my pieces. It will take a bit more time. Thanks for the suggestions. 

mtngigi
Community Member

@David S M wrote:

Hello, Community, 

I'm a graphic designer and I just joined upwork a month and a half ago. I have submitted 16 proposals thus far. I have received only 1 reply from a client, but wasn't selected for the job, and 0 offers. I also noticed that 90% of clients have noted under their preffered qualifications that they want candidates with a 90% job success score..obviously, as everyone here knows I don't have a job success score since I haven't received any job offers. I'm bidding on these jobs anyway as meet all of the other qualifications. I have tons of experience working with other clients. I have tweaked my profile, and also tailor all of my cover letters to each client. Feeling a bit frustrated. What should I be doing differently, and how exactly do I win offers with the 90% JSS catch-22? 

Your feedback and insight is much appreciated. 

This thread may help you: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Why-Does-Nobody-Hire-Me/m-p/460280#M36810  (the OP followed advice and his profile improved consisderably).

There is no catch 22; you can still bid on those jobs. As Mary said, we all started at 0 with no JSS. There is nothing easy about freelancing and connecting with clients online.

Also note that it is against TOS to include a link to your website if there is a way to contact you. It's best to include relevant samples in your Upwork porfolio, and keep a folder of samples you can attach to your bids.

As far as the TOS, I thought clients could contact me directly, so long as all payments are made through Upwork? 

Hi David,

Clients can communicate with you off of the platform and it is important to keep any payments on the Upwork platform. However, posting contact information anywhere on your profile is not allowed. You can include this information in proposals that you send to prospective clients.

~Nina

ok, got it, thanks. I'll change that then. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths