🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: No one is hiring me?
Page options
marmargeldi
Community Member

No one is hiring me?

Hello everyone!,
I’m new to upwirk, so I’m still feeling around and trying to get used to the new environment. I’ve been apart of UpWork for a few weeks now: applied to jobs I’d qualify for and haven’t had any feedback or just didn’t get the job. What should I do? I really want to pursue art as a career, and I got very excited to be apart of the freelancing community. I only have 2 connects and have no clue how to get more, so that concerns me.
Also are my hourly rates too high? It doesn’t take me too long to make pieces, so I wasn’t concerned at first - but now I’m starting to believe it’s driving people away.
7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Maria G wrote:
What should I do?

How old are you?

I don't think your hourly rate has anything to do with it, it's likely more your inexperience and the fact that your profile overview is all about you and what you like, rather than about how hiring you would be of any benefit to a client.

As far as connects are concerned, if you have run out you have to buy some.

Ah alright! I’ll update my summary then. 🙂
And I’m 18, I have experience in the fields I wish to work for as in actually doing in and of what work I can provide. However I don’t have any professional work experience in them besides my own accord!

Maria G wrote:

And I’m 18, I have experience in the fields I wish to work for as in actually doing in and of what work I can provide. 

What projects ARE you qualified to do, exactly? I couldn't figure it out from reading your profile, and you've got hardly anything in your portfolio, so that doesn't help, either. And yes, since you haven't yet graduated high school and you have no work experience, I'd say that charging $30/hour is pretty optimistic.

If you want to be a commercial artist then your portfolio pieces need to reflect that. But if you want to create paintings or drawings and sell them, Upwork isn't the right website for you (I'd mention a few options, but that would probably be against the forum rules, so you can just use Google instead).

jaykishan_patel
Community Member

Hello Maria G

When i apply for job, Here are a list of point which i always take care and i have message from client many times:

1. Find job post in which you are stronger

2. After reading job post, Give them list of solutions with its pos and cons possiable

These are two key points needs to take care while appling job. Hope this will help you.

JK Patel
valery221166
Community Member

Starting anyhow the work is the most difficult step on Upwork.
I know, it´s extremely frustrating continuously placing bids and getting just a silence in response.
Too many people with fake portfolio.
As the possible solution I can recommend you the following. When you find the project from client with good payability and decent work history, you can do conceptual sketches and send him results with very low resolution, with message: "If you like it, hire me please". At least in my case it worked.
Wish you all the best!
You are talented, and everything will be OK.
Regards,
Val

I have been with Upwork for quite sometime now, and have been sending in proposals multiple times, yet until now, I still do't get any offer. I just am not getting hired! Can you help me figure out what's wrong?

joywriter
Community Member

You're hourly rate is a bit high. I would cut it by 50% now and then after getting some work, I would gradually increase it. 

I would also try to summarize this section in one or two senteces, and remove anything that talks about your everyday tastes and thing like that:

"I'm greatly invested when it comes to the world of art, no matter the context or medium it falls under. I love to experiment with my work and juxtapose it with topics that aren't usually seen in the art community. My major skill is my attention to detail, (depending on the piece) I always strive to add as much detail as possible and make sure the final result is clean and reaches my expectations. However, the medium and context of the piece can alter how much detail I put into it. "

I would just remove this part completely:

"I'm greatly invested when it comes to the world of art, no matter the context or medium it falls under. I love to experiment with my work and juxtapose it with topics that aren't usually seen in the art community."

Talk more about what you can do for your clients and boost your portfolio with more work. Also add a video to your profile.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths