🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Non-Circumvention Period clarification fo...
Page options
daveab
Community Member

Non-Circumvention Period clarification for newbie

Just wanting to make sure I understand this - according to the rules: 

"As set out in the Terms of Service, any time two parties enter into a Service Relationship through Upwork both the Client and the Freelancer agree to use the website as the exclusive method to request, make, and receive payments for the first 24 months—a time referred to as the “Non-Circumvention Period.”

So when does that Service Relationship start? Is that once I make contact with a client or when I'm awarded the job? 

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is that once I make contact with a client or when I'm awarded the job?"

These are the same thing:

- making a contract with a client

- being awarded the job

So... Yes.

firescue17
Community Member

@David B wrote:

... once I make contact ...

@Preston H wrote:

These are the same thing ...

... making a contRact ... 

They are not the same thing.

One would be hard-pressed to debate conTACT (without an R) constitutes a "service relationship."

I stand corrected.

Sorry about that! I wasn't trying to cause confusion or engage in wordplay or anything. I read it wrong. The original poster DID write "contact" and not "contract."
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David, 

The service relationship starts when either of the following happens

1. You send a proposal/bid on a job post
  2. You send a proposal/bid on a job post, and the client responds to your proposal
  3. The client invites you to apply to his/her job post

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi,

In regards to this conversation, I understand that the relationship should start from the initial contact. What if the client has closed the previous contract to renew and give a raise? Will it go back to zero? 

Thank you in advance for your response.

Hi Claudia Virginia,

I checked with the team, and they have confirmed that it doesn't matter how many contracts you have with the client. This will still count in the non-circumvention period.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for the swift response. It's all clear. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths