🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Noncirumvention question
Page options
correcthorse
Community Member

Noncirumvention question

Hi there, just had a question about the noncircumvention clause of the user agreement.

I understand the 2 year requirement, that's easy enough and I'm fine with it. I just wanted to double check on what seems like an exemption."For the avoidance of doubt, if you, or the business you represent, did not identify and were not identified by another party through the Site, such as if you and another User worked together before meeting on the Site, then the Non-Circumvention Period does not apply. "

This means I'm not subject to the 2 year commitment on people I used to work for and with? I've got ex-bosses, coworkers and even a couple of existing clients that are already ready to give me contract work now that I'm a full-time freelancer, and I wanted to bill them through your site to 1) have escrow and 2) start building my reputation

But I don't want to do this longer than a few months as it is obviously taking away from my bottom line. Can you let me know if I am interpreting the user agreement correctly?Is there any way to document which contacts I already have a pre-existing relationship with?

3 REPLIES 3
allergywriter
Community Member

There is an option to "Bring Your Client to Upwork"

You get the protection and I believe they reduce the fees you pay.

@Cheryl K wrote:

There is an option to "Bring Your Client to Upwork"

You get the protection and I believe they reduce the fees you pay.

Only if you are top rated or Rising Talent. The OP is neither.

This seems like it only applies to top rated freelancers. I am new here. I either have to wait a long time building up my reputation to be top rated, or I can't use existing clients here. Unless I'm missing something, there's no other way to invite clients. Is this the only way to not have my clients and I subject to the 2 year committment of going through upwork? It could be that this just isn't the site for me.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths