🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Not Getting Jobs
Page options
umarkhan564
Community Member

Not Getting Jobs

could someone please go over my profile and please tell me what's wrong cause I can't seem to find any job

22 REPLIES 22
baxit222
Community Member

Dear,
Is this your real name?
Second thing i have noticed that you're a writer & your skills are different.
Third take some test related to your actual skills.
Thank you
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Alex C wrote:

could someone please go over my profile and please tell me what's wrong cause I can't seem to find any job

You have no portfolio and have not taken a single test. 

I dont't want to hijack, but what sort of tests are you talking about? Are these tests taken on another website that you then post in your profile?

Bill B wrote:
I dont't want to hijack, but what sort of tests are you talking about? Are these tests taken on another website that you then post in your profile?

These are upwork tests that you can take. There are tests for a lot of skills that are offered on the site. 

There is a lot of discussion how good the tests are, but in the very least it demonstrates to the potential client that the freelancer is (a bit more) serious and has taken the time and effort to show his skills.

If I were a client, I would skip profiles without tests, it just seems lazy. 

(There are a lot of very successful freelancers that have not taken tests. That was before the site was overrun with people, and it was easier to establish oneself. Nowadays I don't think one can do without.)

That makes sense. Thank you very much for the information. I will be sure to start doing some tests! 😁

Bill B wrote:
That makes sense. Thank you very much for the information. I will be sure to start doing some tests! 😁

Some unsolicited advice: I also write a blog and would be happy to share my content with you if you would like a sample of my work.

Put these work samples into your portfolio. You are making it unneccessarily hard for a client to get an impression of you and your skills. Portfolio pieces, preferably with a nice picture on them, will make a client spend more time on your profile and hopefully get attached to you... 😉

hey Marina, can you take a look at my profile too https://www.upwork.com/fl/islammagdy15  and tell me if there is something wrong? am not getting enough jobs too and i really don't know why, would appreciate yor help whenever you are free, thanks

Martina P wrote:

There is a lot of discussion how good the tests are, but in the very least it demonstrates to the potential client that the freelancer is (a bit more) serious and has taken the time and effort to show his skills.
If I were a client, I would skip profiles without tests, it just seems lazy. 

Oh dear, I hope there aren't many clients that think like that, as my profile doesn't have any test results!

(There are a lot of very successful freelancers that have not taken tests. That was before the site was overrun with people, and it was easier to establish oneself. Nowadays I don't think one can do without.)

Well, I'm not sure it was a lot easier 18 months ago, when I got started, but I guess it was somewhat easier.

Although I have some Top 10% and Top 20% results in tests that are slightly relevant, I've so far only managed a Top 30% in the one test that is really relevant, and I don't feel that's good enough. It's about time I tried it again. But I'm lazy. You were right about that.

Hey Martina. Thanks for giving me a kick up the backside. Smiley Wink It made me take another Excel test and get a better result, so I'm now proudly displaying some tests on my profile.

Richard W wrote:

Hey Martina. Thanks for giving me a kick up the backside. Smiley Wink It made me take another Excel test and get a better result, so I'm now proudly displaying some tests on my profile.

ha clients don't care but I'd make a friendly wager it's good for search

Richard W wrote:

Richard, I could not be prouder of you! 

Martina, as Richard W said, I hope clients do not do that.
I have only taken some tests on the "Spanish" language, until the tests are translated into other languages, I will not take any more.
Actually, not doing it has not influenced for now.
I would like to take some related to my skills, but I think that, to be able to do it in conditions of equality, they should be translated.
The same is silly, only what I think Smiley Happy

JoanneP

It is not useful or effective to present yourself as a proofreader and a detail-oriented person when there are several obvious errors in the text of your profile -- errors that I would scold an eighth-grader for including in any final draft of an English essay.

Janean L wrote:

It is not useful or effective to present yourself as a proofreader and a detail-oriented person when there are several obvious errors in the text of your profile -

Or a native English speaker when you're not.

hi Janean, can you please take a look at my profile https://www.upwork.com/fl/islammagdy15  and tell me if something is wrong with it too, i would appreciate your review since am not getting enough jobs too 

@ Islam --

Since you are not seeking jobs in a language-related field, your English seems to be fine for what you need, and also to be in line with your claims.

As to the rest of your profile:

(1) I am not much of an expert in the field of architecture.

(2) You may well be able to find someone to do a thorough review of your profile for form/presentation. Your best approach will be to post this as a job. Sometimes you can find a willing volunteer, but the time required to do this well usually ends up being at least an hour, and often double or triple that.

Nice photo!

Good luck with your endeavors on this platform! I wish you well!

@Janean L

i think i might post a job for that, its really a good idea, thanks a lot for your time, you were really helpful 🙂

mtngigi
Community Member

Alex C wrote:

You didn't take the advice when you asked this question before (when it appears you had a different name):

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Not-getting-jobs/m-p/547943

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Alex C wrote:

You have changed your name. I assume this is a strategy to go with your claim of being a native English speaker. 

It is a bad strategy because it not only is dishonest and therefore forbidden by ToS, but it also will make it impossible for you to access any future earnings as your name on your bank account will not match. 

Martina P wrote:

Alex C wrote:

You have changed your name. I assume this is a strategy to go with your claim of being a native English speaker. 

It is a bad strategy because it not only is dishonest and therefore forbidden by ToS, but it also will make it impossible for you to access any future earnings as your name on your bank account will not match. 

lololol Sundays best days to read this place.

can't get a job? just change your name to a fake name. that'll work. GENIUS idea.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths