cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Receiving New Message Notifications

sara_sullins
Sara M Member Since: Jan 26, 2017
1 of 17

I am new to Upwork and have been working hard to land my first project as a freelancer. I was messaging with a potential client earlier this month and received notifications of new messages both via email and through the Upwork app just fine.

I stopped receiving messages from the client a few weeks ago, and even logged in multiple times on my desktop to confirm I wasn't missing anything in my inbox. No new messages. Today, I received an email and notification from the Upwork app that I had a new message from the client. I logged in on my computer and opened my Upwork messages to find the client had sent me multiple messages over the past few weeks that I was completely oblivious to.

I was horrified to say the least and tried to explain to the client that I never received any of her past messages until today. I'm not sure what caused this problem, but I'm beyond embarrassed. I'm sharing this to hopefully make Upwork's IT team aware.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 17

You are correct.

The messaging relay does not necessarily work all the time.

There are differences between the intended functionality and the actual functionality.

Keep in mind that Upwork customer support personnel, Forum moderators, and Help documents can only provide you with information about the intended functionality. They can not provide you information about the actual funtionality at any given time. That varies.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
3 of 17

On the bright side:

This often works.

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
4 of 17

Sara - The moral to that story is that it pays to check your messages on Upwork periodically. That does not take much time and can be very helpful.

sara_sullins
5 of 17

The problem is that I was checking my messages on Upwork periodically, and none of the new messages were there. I'm not sure why they weren't appearing in the messages tab.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
6 of 17

Many Forum users have posted about this or related issues over the past few days.

I am assuming that things were not working as intended.

View solution in original post

sara_sullins
7 of 17

Thank you for making me aware of this, Preston. I hope a solution is found quickly.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 17

Hi Sara,

In addition to the information Bojan shared, we had a support ticket created for you. The team will check whether the messages registered as read or there were any issues with notifications. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
9 of 17

But, Sara - you said you had not heard from a client for weeks. Are you saying that you got no new messages on Upwork for weeks? I find that difficult to understand because that has not happened to me.

sara_sullins
10 of 17

I checked multiple times over the past three weeks. No new messages in my inbox. That's why I'm posting this on the forums, because I don't understand why this happened.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS