🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Not Receiving New Message Notifications
Page options
sara_sullins
Community Member

Not Receiving New Message Notifications

I am new to Upwork and have been working hard to land my first project as a freelancer. I was messaging with a potential client earlier this month and received notifications of new messages both via email and through the Upwork app just fine.

I stopped receiving messages from the client a few weeks ago, and even logged in multiple times on my desktop to confirm I wasn't missing anything in my inbox. No new messages. Today, I received an email and notification from the Upwork app that I had a new message from the client. I logged in on my computer and opened my Upwork messages to find the client had sent me multiple messages over the past few weeks that I was completely oblivious to.

I was horrified to say the least and tried to explain to the client that I never received any of her past messages until today. I'm not sure what caused this problem, but I'm beyond embarrassed. I'm sharing this to hopefully make Upwork's IT team aware.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Many Forum users have posted about this or related issues over the past few days.

I am assuming that things were not working as intended.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
prestonhunter
Community Member

You are correct.

The messaging relay does not necessarily work all the time.

There are differences between the intended functionality and the actual functionality.

Keep in mind that Upwork customer support personnel, Forum moderators, and Help documents can only provide you with information about the intended functionality. They can not provide you information about the actual funtionality at any given time. That varies.

On the bright side:

This often works.

joansands
Community Member

Sara - The moral to that story is that it pays to check your messages on Upwork periodically. That does not take much time and can be very helpful.

The problem is that I was checking my messages on Upwork periodically, and none of the new messages were there. I'm not sure why they weren't appearing in the messages tab.

Many Forum users have posted about this or related issues over the past few days.

I am assuming that things were not working as intended.

Thank you for making me aware of this, Preston. I hope a solution is found quickly.

Hi Sara,

In addition to the information Bojan shared, we had a support ticket created for you. The team will check whether the messages registered as read or there were any issues with notifications. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

But, Sara - you said you had not heard from a client for weeks. Are you saying that you got no new messages on Upwork for weeks? I find that difficult to understand because that has not happened to me.

I checked multiple times over the past three weeks. No new messages in my inbox. That's why I'm posting this on the forums, because I don't understand why this happened.

I have no idea what is happening with other people.

I know from first-hand experience that my Upwork messaging has been very wonky these past few days.

I have seen delays in message relays. And I have seen hire notifications being delivered a half-dozen times, with duplicate messages.

Upwork is a big system and it is difficult to get messaging correct all the time. So I have no ill will toward Upwork.
It is what it is.

Joan S wrote:

But, Sara - you said you had not heard from a client for weeks. Are you saying that you got no new messages on Upwork for weeks? I find that difficult to understand because that has not happened to me.

This is not a brand-new problem. Just because it has never happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Hi Sara,

Sorry to hear you had the issues with Messages. Please, refer to this help article for troubleshooting tips next time you experience issues with loading your Messages.

Email notification is not sent if a message is registered as "read," which is when Messages are open in a browser tab and in the Desktop App. 

If the issue shows on your end again, please let us know and our team will assist you further.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Sara,

Sorry to hear you had the issues with Messages. Please, refer to this help article for troubleshooting tips next time you experience issues with loading your Messages.

Email notification is not sent if a message is registered as "read," which is when Messages are open in a browser tab and in the Desktop App. 

If the issue shows on your end again, please let us know and our team will assist you further.

Thank you!

Bojan, how can we know that we are experiencing problems loading messages? Sara logged in and checked and had no new messages. How would she have known there was a problem?

This is not a brand-new problem and it is not one we users can fix with troubleshooting tips. All we can do is report it and hope/wish/pray.

This has substantially slowed down my current project, and it has been going on for two weeks. Remarkably in both web access and iOS app.

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for reaching out! I know how important it is to stay on top of your activities on Upwork. I'm sorry to hear that you have issues receiving notifications. Have you tried the suggested troubleshooting steps here? If you did, but the problem persists, please let us know so we can investigate further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
b0748118
Community Member

Hello,

I might be experiencing this issue too. I have asked for support but nobody has responded yet (ticket id:  #31345605), Could somebody form Upwork assist me? Thank you in advance.

Hi Edwin,

I checked, and it looks like one of our agents has already updated your ticket to assist you further. Feel free to follow- up on the ticket if you have any questions. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
b0748118
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

I have been communicating with the Agent for three days now, and no apparent solution has been found. I even created another Client account using an old email, and tried to do the following:

- Invite my Freelancer account to an interview --> the invitations were not sent, and my Freelancer account obviously didn't get the invitations.

- Search my Freelancer account using several keyword methods --> my account didn't appear in the search results at all

- Message my Freelancer account --> the messages didn't get through, no email, no notifications whatsoever.

I would really appreciate technical support to look into this issue, thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Edwin

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths