🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Not getting any response from clients on Upwo...
Page options
sheikhdipto
Community Member

Not getting any response from clients on Upwork (proposals are archived)

Hi,

I am a new freelancer here on Upwork. After my last project was done 2-3 days ago, I submitted many proposals but did not get any response from the clients, which seems strange.

When I first joined on Upwork, I submitted very few proposals and got response from clients and got hired. Now, after submitting many proposals, there is not a single knock on my inbox and my proposals are archived. But, I have no clue, why those were archived and what I am doing wrong here. 

I also read other community posts of upwork, if I don't get job's continuously and my proposals get archived, my account will be suspended. I'm so scared right now. If someone experienced here could give me an advice or suggestion about what I can do at this point, I would be very thankful.

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi S M F Shahriar and Leigh,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been getting response to your proposals. I can assure you that all proposals are delivered to and can be viewed by clients. Proposals are archived only if they are declined by the client, withdrawn by the freelancer or the job is closed. Also, the clients can archive proposals on their end.

Submitting proposals doesn't always guarantee that you will get hired or interviewed, but you shouldn't give up on sending proposals to potential clients. 
When you apply for jobs, make sure your proposal is well written and that you're absolutely qualified and certain of your ability to complete the job you're applying for. Check out this help article with tips on creating proposals that win jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
lvanderloo
Community Member

I've been having the exact same porblem!

I think Upwork has a bot, which automatically (and mistakenly) adding my proposals into archived folder and clients are not seeing my proposals.

So, let's wait for a solution from an expert. May be they can fix the bug(if it is a bug, then)?

Hi S M F Shahriar and Leigh,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been getting response to your proposals. I can assure you that all proposals are delivered to and can be viewed by clients. Proposals are archived only if they are declined by the client, withdrawn by the freelancer or the job is closed. Also, the clients can archive proposals on their end.

Submitting proposals doesn't always guarantee that you will get hired or interviewed, but you shouldn't give up on sending proposals to potential clients. 
When you apply for jobs, make sure your proposal is well written and that you're absolutely qualified and certain of your ability to complete the job you're applying for. Check out this help article with tips on creating proposals that win jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,
Thank you so much for such nice response. I will be more careful, while writing proposals from now on.
Yes, I only apply on those jobs which I can complete successfully. I learned from other freelancers mistakes, that they cost their account for not being so serious. 

I will check out the tips article and will try to follow them.
Thank you for your valuable time Bojan

deepaksharma69
Community Member

I am also facing exactly the same issue. Previously, I submitted very few proposals and got a response from clients and got hired. I am following all the mentioned instructions but still struggling to grab a job on this platform even after spending money on buying connects.

I checked "My Stats" in my account and found that no one is looked at my profile. Hence proved that clients even not opening the proposals. If they are unable to view the proposal how will they going to hire.

please I'm new to upwork. I can't even get a single job, nobody has sent a message even after several proposals. please someone should go through my profile to see if I did anything wrong.
I feel like I'm discriminated because I'm black . I need help.

Joyce O wrote:
please I'm new to upwork. I can't even get a single job, nobody has sent a message even after several proposals. please someone should go through my profile to see if I did anything wrong.
I feel like I'm discriminated because I'm black . I need help.

There are a lot of successful black freelancers on UpWork. I don't think it's fair to pull the race card when the problem could just be that your proposals are subpar. 

LOL, you must be joking. 

Hi Joyce and Rory,

Submitting proposals doesn't always guarantee that you will get hired or get a chance to be interviewed, but you shouldn't give up on sending proposals to potential clients. You may check these great articles in our Hiring Headquarters to help you enhance your Profile: 
Also, I would recommend that you check out these articles to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 
I'd also like to note that Upwork does not allow discrimination against color, race or national origin. If you come across any instances of discrimination, please report it to us.

Thank you!
~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello,

I submitted a detailed proposal that sat for a week without response from the potential client (no invite to interview, no rejection).  As such, I withdrew the proposal.  Will I get the connects back since the client failed to respond at all, or do I just lose them?

Thank you for your help.

-Brad

Hi Bradley,

Connects are returned when a job is closed without the client making a hire or has been removed by Upwork for a Terms of Service violation. However, withdrawing your proposal will not return your Connects. You can check out this help article for more information about the use of Connects.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi been submitting proposals but no response since I joined. Is there something, am doing wrong? Please advise

Hi Prudence,

Submitting proposals doesn’t always guarantee that you will get hired or get a chance to be interviewed, but you shouldn’t give up on sending proposals to potential clients. You may check our Resource Center and find some excellent topics there:

Good luck! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Same here. I have sent out many proposals and no hires from clients. My profile is not even looked at. So I ask myself if it's because I'm black because I get jobs outside of upwork. I'm wondering what is wrong too.

Hi,I am facing the same problem . I am new on this platform and had submitted tons of proposals but clients are not responding to it.Can you go through my profile and check the flaws of it.It will be really helpfull if you do so.

Hi, Joyce please I'm experiencing similar problem, I just checked your profile and noticed you are on top rated, which means you have probably being able to fix the problem, please how was that possible I need help, I keep sending proposals without any response or profile view, it's so frustrating.
youlia84
Community Member

Same problem here! Used to get replies on my few proposals, now sending out many more and haven't gotten a single interview although I was qualified for all jobs and put a lot of of time and effort into the proposals. 

I believe, the algorithm chooses who's proposal is shown, showing high earners first and showing them as "recommended" - the client has to click on "Show more" several times in order to see all proposals, but most probably don't do this as they already reviewed the recommended freelancers and got in touch with them. It seems like once you're ranked "low" by Upworks algorithm you're doomed - as you need jobs to get good reviews and being ranked higher, but how should you get jobs if your proposals are never seen? Funnily, I have no problems getting jobs in the "real world", but on Upwork i'm a complete Nobody.

If the only response from Upwork on this thread is "go and work on the quality of your proposals"... I'm sorry but I think it's time to change the freelancer platform... I'm running out of connects and I really don't want to pay for my proposals that are not seen by clients anyways...

Hi Julia,

I'm sorry to hear about your concern and that you feel this way. While we use the best match algorithm, the amount earned is not a deciding factor when it comes to how proposals appear on the clients' end. I checked three of your most recent proposals and can confirm that one of them is tagged as best match. Hopefully you'll reconsider and continue using Upwork, we're here for you if you decide to continue using our platform.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hey everyone

I am experiencing exactly the same thing. Years ago when I applied for jobs I got them easily, now I send so many proposals and never hear a thing back. I'm really feeling disheartened. I've improved my profile a lot and I try different techniques in all my proposals, but it feels like they just end up in a bottomless pit. I have the experience and I have only 5 star reviews.

Please, UpWork, there must be a reason this is happening to so many of us? Are there too many freelancers on the platform? Are clients looking at every single proposal? I think we should at least get our connects back if a proposal isn't even opened.

Please help us figure this out?
Thanks so much, Natalie

I have just started at UpWork and these posts are really demoralizing. Luckily, UpWork isn't my primary job and I am doing it in my free time. How long does it take to have my account suspended if I don't get any job?

Till date, I submitted 7 proposals and got 1 order.

Hi Abdullah,

Every beginning can be difficult and everyone, including new freelancers, are experiencing highs and lows, but you shouldn't lose hope. You may want to consider checking out this Community board as it has many great articles to help you boost your career on Upwork and this thread to help you get started.

You may check these great topics in our Resource Corner to help you create proposals that win jobs:

I would like to clarify that your profile should not get suspended because you do not get any jobs. You can find more information about freelancer violations and account holds in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

I am getting the same experience, I  have submitted many proposals but have not gotten responses from even one client. can you please suggest what should I do now? I am willing to leave this platform because at the same time I am losing my connects and motivation.

please check my profile anything there is something wrong.

Julia, same problem here. Some months ago, I used to have a lot of work. I went somewhere for a week, and now I don't have any! 

I have the same issue.  have submitted 150+ proposals, but not received a single invite.

Hi Ahmad,

Thanks for reaching out to us! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nikola S,

I am thankful for the feedback, I already have gone through these links and modified my profile according to provided guidelines. I am quite disappointed to say that new freelancers are being ignored.

Ahmad G wrote:

Hi Nikola S,

I am thankful for the feedback, I already have gone through these links and modified my profile according to provided guidelines. I am quite disappointed to say that new freelancers are being ignored.

You must not have fully comprehended those links because your profile is still not that good. It's just a list of things you do. There's no reason a client should hire you. It could be a profile for anyone. This is your business ad. Why does the client hire you instead of someone else? What's unique about you, your work, your working style, what you provide, anything, that the client can use to differentiate you from the rest? The profile needs to be geared toward the client and solving the clients problem, not a list of your skills. I'm going to wager a guess your proposals have similar problems. If you're submitting 150 with no response then you are doing something wrong. 

Hello,

Can you please check what's going with my proposals as I am also not getting response from any of my currently submitted proposals. 

I am so much worried about it and I craft proposals with lots of effort but getting no response demotivate me to write.

Please help me.

Amandeep bhai, 

Please send a copy of a proposal in my private messager or if you want to put it in this forum sweet. 

Will look at the copy and advice. 

Thank you 

emmaaldp
Community Member

Thank you so much! 

I completely agree with Julia. I guess Upwork dosent show clients the proposals who havent gone for extra bids. Else a professional with decades of experience behind, and an impeccable English, wont be raking success at all other marketplaces. Its seldom that I am not able to impress clients with my profile and dealing.

I seriously want to know if any community manager sees any problem with my profile or cover letter.

ghulam_m_sharif
Community Member

In my perspective, the whole idea of writing a cover letter is not appropriate to impress a client for a $20 job that eventually is bidding behind the scene for less than $10 to get a client's approval. Because of this reason so, many hardworking skilled candidates are not getting responses which affects a lot of them financially and psychologically. Most people aren't good at writing proposals for every job posted on Upwork, but they have the experience and technical skills mentioned under the profile with portfolio. Most of us are just writing proposals where some agencies and enterprise-level competitors are snatching our jobs with the help of qualified copywriters. 

My suggestion is if a seller is sending a proposal to the client with verified profile status then the Upwork team needs to create an "AI" to comprehend candidates with how many people in that specific time zone are not working or not getting work for more than 8 hours a day. Then "AI" will forward jobs to the seller according to skillset so they can get living every day with reasonable income around $100 - $150 a day is better than nothing. 

Ghulam M S wrote:

Most people aren't good at writing proposals for every job posted on Upwork, but they have the experience and technical skills mentioned under the profile with portfolio. Most of us are just writing proposals where some agencies and enterprise-level competitors are snatching our jobs with the help of qualified copywriters. 

My suggestion is if a seller is sending a proposal to the client with verified profile status then the Upwork team needs to create an "AI" to comprehend candidates with how many people in that specific time zone are not working or not getting work for more than 8 hours a day. Then "AI" will forward jobs to the seller according to skillset so they can get living every day with reasonable income around $100 - $150 a day is better than nothing. 

Unfortunately, that's not how freelancing works. If you don't learn how to market yourself, you won't get work. (And yes, you can learn how to do it if you really want to.) Nobody is going to just hand you a job.

I'll have ti just add more to what you Said Ghulam, Ai generated text can be detected by Algorythm 60% of time. 

It would be good to have ai generate a body of text, you can ask it to keep language simple if your English is not good. 

Then refine it in word quickly to submit. With the new Ai laws coming into place just take this step as a precaution. 

2b9c8c75
Community Member

Hello. 

I continue to plug away as well with little to show.

I have been on the platform for a week. 

I tell myself to be more patient, that there are a zillion reasons why a potential client wouldn't choose me, and that a position worthy of my time and qualifications will eventually land in my inbox. 

Through this platform and this Community, I have learned what sort of scams can come up and avoid them. I am also grateful that I haven't been a victim of a scam or someone who has wanted something for nothing or who is difficult.

Lots to be thankful for and only one week has gone by.

It sucks but we (as a group) are no doubt doing the best we can to secure opportunities that we believe should be ours.

(Now go out and win that game!!)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths