🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Not getting hired
Page options
omar_zafar
Community Member

Not getting hired

Hi There,

I am on Upwork for the past 3 months now and have been submitting proposals also. But I am not getting many replies from the clients and also not getting hired. I changed the proposal templates, used custom proposals but still not getting hired. Can you please look into my profile and suggest something? Or can you please suggest any proposal techniques??

5 REPLIES 5
dremru
Community Member

Hi Omar

Not to sound harsh, but your profile presentation sounds pretentious at best, and straight up arrogant at worst.

Speaking so highly of yourself in such a pompous manner is probably turning down most clients (at least It would turn me down).

Not only that, but you offer very little susbtance in your description, you talk how you are "the best" and how you "speak the magic", without providing any actual insight on what would make you a good pick.

Honestly, it sounds like those scammy ads that pop-up on many sites, all talk with no substance.

Lastly, it sounds too "cookie cutter": I could easily replace "OMAR" with "Emanuele R." and it will read the same, you know why? Because it is not built around you or your work, but around a promise that might never be kept.

To improve it, start talking about your education, why you like doing what you do, whta are your qualifications, degrees etc. Next, start talking on how you approach your jobs, what steps you would make in order to help your client, what are your strong points and what makes you stand out from the others.

All in all, make sure that your description is actually YOURS, and talks about who you are, and please, don't refer to yourself as a JEDI or a Master, it just sounds wrong.

Best Regards

Emanuele.

Hi Emanuele,

Thanks for taking time to look into my profile and providing feedback. I appreciate that you pointed out my mistakes and provided suggestions. I am happy that you provided honest feedback. I will definately re-write my profile description.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Omar

petra_r
Community Member

@Omar Z wrote:

I am on Upwork for the past 3 months now and have been submitting proposals also. But I am not getting many replies from the clients and also not getting hired. I changed the proposal templates, used custom proposals but still not getting hired. Can you please look into my profile and suggest something? Or can you please suggest any proposal techniques??

Your profile is likely to divide opinion.... It may be a matter of personal taste but personally I could not take a freelancer serious with a profile like that. To gimicky, to braggy.  No evidence of skill or professionalism.

Proposal templates not only don't work, they will get you suspended.

But personally I think your profile overview is a complete no-no, sorry.

Hi Petra,

Thanks for taking time out to provide feedback. I have worked on my profile overview and I hope that it is fine now but I have one question in my mind that I am not seeing many viewers in my analytics page of profile. I send almost 5-10 proposals daily but my weekly profile viewers are 7-10 only. I do not use proposal templates now (which I used to send when I was new). Can you please suggest any proposal techniques.

That'll be a great favour!

Thanks

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Omar Z wrote:

Hi There,

I would definitely rethink the style of your profile. Think in terms of quietly professional, not screaming of catch-words. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths