🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Offer to interview, and then potential client...
Page options
l_wickiser
Community Member

Offer to interview, and then potential client doesn't follow up. Did I do something wrong?

Hello everybody!

I'm still a fairly new freelancer here on Upwork, but I have completed a few small projects and earned some money, which was fun. Unfortunately, I have received three offers to interview for potential clients in the last couple weeks, and each time when I accept their interview and apply for their job, they never respond back. It's frustrating getting an offer from a potential client and setting up an interview time and not hearing anything back. I've even followed up with them all a few days later to check if they were still interested in hiring me. Radio silence on the other end. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What's going on here?

2 REPLIES 2
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lucas, 

I don't have any specific information to share because we're not privy to clients' hiring activities on Upwork. However, I can say that I've been on the same boat several times when I was actively freelancing back then. I suspect that some clients are busy off the platform. 

I would say focus on your proposals and improve your profile in the meantime. I took a peek, and I have a few recommendations to share, if you don't mind. 😊

You may want to remove the line that mentions your new to Upwork. While you may be new to Upwork, you are not new to the industry. Leverage on your years of experience and make sure to highlight how you can help your client how to solve their problem. Try to answer this question - "how can I help you have a successful project?" - then flesh it out in your profile overview. 

Don't forget to add other samples of your past work to your portfolio. You can also create personal samples by blogging about a recent game or commenting on a specific gameplay to beef up your overview.

Here are some articles that you may want to check out, which will hopefully help you to a successful start: 

I hope this helps. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you very much for the advice. That was very helpful, and it's
reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has struggled with this
issue. I'll take your advice and keep working at it. It's been fun working
on Upwork when I have been hired, I'm just trying to get hired more
consistently so I can write from home on a more consistent basis.
Preferably full time if I get to that point, especially if it's work I
enjoy doing.
Thanks again!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths