cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old School Admin. Assistants

Highlighted
Mathias V Member Since: Apr 10, 2017
1 of 9

I'm new here and when I worked as an A.A. social media wasn't used like it is today. Are there any other old school A.A.'s that have found work here that isn't heavily depend on social media? That is my biggest weakness. I need work but, if everything is social media dependent I might need to look else where. Any suggestions or ideas would be of great help. Just an old dog in a new kennel I guess! Smiley Happy lol

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 9

Admin assistants don't necessarily need to do social media stuff. But you may expect from clients that hire online some kind of online activity, so not being literate in SM may put you into a disadvantage.

What you can do, however, is being curious and open to new things. Social media is learnable. Maybe Udemy has some courses about it, maybe the content you may find for free online is sufficient.

You are certainly not too old to learn something new :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
3 of 9

i'm always open to learning. I just hope I can find the clients that understand and are patient. Most A>A> work I can do inmy sleep. But, SM is mor of a nightmare for me than a dream. LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 9

@Mathias V wrote:

i'm always open to learning. I just hope I can find the clients that understand and are patient. Most A>A> work I can do inmy sleep. But, SM is mor of a nightmare for me than a dream. LOL

Clients won't understand. You can't learn on the job. New skills, you are supposed to learn them on your own time, especially since there are plenty of AA on Upwork who are already familiar with SM.

SM is not hard, it's new to you but you can learn, just take your time, read, take courses, try, be curious and you may even like it.

-----------
Highlighted
5 of 9

And reality hits.... (**bleep** I'm old...)

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 9

@Mathias V wrote:

And reality hits.... (**bleep** I'm old...)

I don't know how old you are but if you think that you are too old to learn new things (which I don't believe for a second) then you must be biblically old :-)

-----------
Highlighted
7 of 9

In the SM world I would be considered prehistoric... Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

Mathias, you say you need money, but I am not sure I believe you.

You have posted a photo of yourself that tells me you don't need money.

You are wearing a hat and you have not shaved your beard. A young person who wants to look older sports a beard. A successful freelancer who doesn't need me to hire him but who I need to hire sports a beard. An older freelancer who wants to look younger and connected to current technologies may well shave his beard.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sharon L Member Since: Jun 14, 2015
9 of 9

Social media is part of online marketing. If you Google online marketing tutorials, you will find a lot of material you can read. It is well resourced, like any other activity which happens directly on the internet. Learning online marketing is also good for running your freelance business.

It may help you to join a social network as yourself, to see how popular you become. This may be beneficial to any social media work that you undertake for a client. Joining a social network can improve your creativity, and you may discover many things about yourself and other people, by creating original content and reading other peoples' work. You can promote your Upwork account on your social network page.