cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the spot writing sample?

Tanya G Member Since: Oct 26, 2016
1 of 6

I am new to Upwork, and having trouble landing my first assignment, as many clients want someone with at least 100 hours here already. I found someone willing to hire "newbies," though he wouldn't communicate much unless I added him via Skype. I did, and we were IMing and he gave me a writing sample assignment. I said I could have to him within a day, and he asked "why not now."

Is this common here? I've never had a client ask for something on the spot. Most understand that freelancers have other work and assignments in progress at any time.

Also, any advice for getting started here? It seems nearly impossible for someone new to Upwork to meet the requirements that many clients have. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 6

@Tanya G wrote:

I did, and we were IMing and he gave me a writing sample assignment. I said I could have to him within a day, and he asked "why not now."

Is this common here?

Very common. Those people commonly target newbies desperate for their first job enough to provide them with free work.

They want it on the spot so you don't have a chance to put some thinking into it and coming here for advice, and be told that this is basically a scam.

This is why they want to act fast.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 6

@Tanya G wrote:

Also, any advice for getting started here?

You mean this? Getting Started on Upwork

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Tanya,

Please check the thread Rene shared, take a screenshot of the client's request and report them directly to Customer Support. Requesting unpaid test work is a violation of Upwork ToS and our team would want to review and take action.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 6

Tanya, to add to the advice you've already received, you can see a great list of tips and warning signs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.

Also, don't be put off by the "at least 100 hours" requirement on a job (or any of the other things like "at least 90% JSS". If you find the job interesting and it's within your skill set, you can still apply. It doesn't prevent you from applying or from your proposal being shown to the client.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

Sometimes I hire a freelancer to begin working RIGHT NOW, but I make it clear in my job description that this is the expectation. And I insist that the freelancer accept the hire button and log in to the time tracker to properly log their time before they begin working with me.

Getting asked to begin work immediately can be a very good thing for a freelancer, if done properly. Obviously that's a different situation then what the original poster describes.

Just pointing out that being asked to begin working immediately isn't necessarily a red flag.